Premed 101 Forums

Orientation week

Guest dl

Guest MedAnxiety

I heard there's going to be parties, welcome speeches, tours and that's about it! No classes though... but I'm not positive. Any first years wanna add a bit of info?

Guest Lactic Folly

This is last year's schedule.. I'm sure they're planning something great this year too.

Monday - Welcome package, meet big sibling, video/slide show, clubs fair, BBQ, tour and games, overview of years 1 & 2, prizes, party

Tuesday - Team building in Rundle Park

Wednesday - Student affairs, overview of years 3 & 4, support group lunch, finances and bursaries, party

Thursday - ID cards, professional standards ceremony

Friday - Golf, pub crawl

Saturday - Shinerama, Alumni Association social

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hash

So would it be a good idea to wait till orientation week to get an LOC? Will the banks be offerring anything extra?... or is it simply the convenience factor?

Thanks.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

During O-week, the banks will all be in one place at the same time...so it makes things a bit easier for "comparison shopping". Above and beyond that, I don't think there are any added benefits of waiting until O-week to get your LOC....except that it may help you refrain from using it to fund some of your summer activities :P

Guest Jas001

I actually went into RBC last week and signed my LOC. I did quite a bit of research (this site has quite a bit too..) and came up with the following: all banks basically have the same terms and conditions (ie. a lending rate of prime, principle payments don't have to be made until after residency etc. etc.) the difference with RBC is that they give the largest amount UPFRONT (150,000..meaning you don't have to apply each year for more ) and they probably have the best perks along with your LOC (a no annual fee gold card with whatever limit you want which is reguarly $120 per annum and you don't have to pay any monthly bank fees). The best part is that if you refer another med student and they sign a LOC at RBC they'll credit your saving/checking account with $100.

The @#%$ part for me.....this would've worked out to my advantage if I would've started 2 years ago when I got in and actually knew other people starting med as well.

jas

Archived