Premed 101 Forums

course registration

Guest dl

hey has anyone else tried to register for courses yet over bear tracks or am i just jumping the gun cause i think we were allowed to have started registering since last week.

thanks

dl

Guest CD4CD25

I did it today :) Perhaps I jumped the gun, but oh well! There are only three courses to register for the fall, and two for the winter term (look under DMED).

CD4CD25

Guest brandonitejr

Really, there's no hurry in registering for your courses since you'll all be taking the same classes and there's of course enough room for everyone in them. The only class you need to hurry up and register for is INT-D - there's an afternoon and an evening class. The afternoon class fills up quickly, so if evening classes don't appeal to you then register for that ASAP.

You register on BearTracks (http://www.beartracks.ualberta.ca). For those who didn't go to UofA, your login ID is just w then your student number and I think I just emailed them and asked for a password. Don't quote me on that though...

Guest brandonitejr

INT-D is an interdisciplinary course. Its goal is to try and get you to work in groups with other health professionals from other disciplines (e.g. nursing, PT, OT, pharmacy, physical education, dentistry, dental hygiene, etc) before you get on the wards. It involves a lot of group discussion and role playing. You also have to get out in the community, work in a group for some sort of project (e.g. Do Bugs Need Drugs?, youth education on mental disorders). There's a lot (and I mean lots) of discussion, but you get to meet some new people.

Guest summervirus

Yup, the people in the afternoon session might go to places like elementary schools whereas the people in the evening classes might visit a nursing home.

Guest MedAnxiety

for INT D 410, why did it say it's only for "After Degree Nursing Students"? Am I looking at the wrong course we're supposed to be registering for? Thanks =)

Guest house

hey, did you get your registration stuff yet? i still havent. and i went onto bear tracks and i dont really see anywhere that i can register for courses. my thing on beartracks is still saying incomplete, wierd...

Guest MedAnxiety

Hey House, yeah, it's weird cause mine says incomplete, but i looked at the "due date" for that incomplete and it was November 15th, 2004. So I'm assuming it was pre-interview stuff (like MCAT scores, reference letters, etc) and the system just haven't updated the info yet. As for where to register, if you have your beartracks account, there should be an "Academics" section when you login, and inside Academic, there should be an add/drop/switch courses icon.

I haven't received my registration package either...but for some reason, I was still able to register. Remember to register for both the Fall 2005 and Winter 2006 session though (I dunno about you, but it's a little different with UBC since in UBC, we register for both sessions at the same time/location).

Yeah, I'm not a pro with Beartracks, but if you have more questions, i'm more than glad to answer them if I can =)

See you in the fall!!

Guest MedAnxiety

Hey guys, i dunno if this will help, but here's what I have registered with the course numbers in brackets (might save you guys some time):

Fall 2005:

DMED 511 (60751)

DMED 512 (60753)

DMED 513A (62845)

MED 516A (66007)

Winter 2006:

DMED 513B (72785)

DMED 514 (70699)

INTD 410 (73632) <-- this is the afternoon section

MED 516B (76142)

MED 517 (72725)

Hope this helps!!

what does DMED stand for

are the courses you just listed the courses we have to take in Med and where do you find more info about all of this stuff if i havent got my registration pack yet

thankyou

Guest squeegy80
what does DMED stand for

I'm guessing these are the courses that everyone in both medicine and dentistry take together.

do we only have to register in the INTD course in the winter section cuz they have one in the fall section

As MDmmmsure said in the related thread, "For all those wondering, you have to sign up for IntD 410 in the winter term....not the fall (there's only an option for nurses in the fall)....."

squeegy

Guest MedAnxiety

Yup, DMED stands for courses for both Dent and Med.

INTD course..yeah, you have to register for the winter 2006 term. But note that there are two classes of this course: one that starts 2pm and one that starts at 6pm.

hey so during all of these courses do you guys actually know when we'll actually be interacting with patients or do we have to wait till years three and four?

dl

I think the registration packs only come out in mid-july. But, I think the Beartracks system allows you to change your program (if you're a student @ UofA already) and start registering. If you're not, you might have to call up the office and get your beartracks ID/password. (btw.. beartracks is the online registration system).

If you d/l the student manual from last year (off the 'student resources' link under 'admissions') - page 25 shows the courses you need to take for 1st year. However, an earlier post in this thread simplifies things a lot by posting the course numbers as well.

Guest fluidity2

You will start interacting with patients in October - that is when family physician shadowing starts (mandatory for everybody - every first year shadows a doc 4 times). Also, PCC (patient centered care) starts right away in September so that you can gain some history taking skills before you start seeing patients.

Also, you can start signing up for shadowing emerg docs pretty early in the fall. If you are really motivated, you can also try contacting other physicians if you want more shadowing opportunities.

hey thanks a lot medanxiety for posting those. It does make my life a heckuva lot easier. I too, was wondering when my registration package would come.

for everyone else, bearscat is a vastly superior and easier system to use and register with, and lookup courses etc. It was designed by some first year comp sci kid cuz beartracks was a pain in the ass, and it became so popular that ths students union now maintains it. It interfaces directly with beartracks so you dont have to.

/bearscat.su.ualberta.ca

Archived