Premed 101 Forums

Is it harder to come back to Canada from the US or from the UK

I'm currently thinking of applying to both US and UK medical schools on top of my regular OMSAS applications.

For the US, I am applying to Columbia, Baylor, Harvard med, John Hopkins, Stanford, Wayne State, University of Chicago, University of Michigan, and Case Western Medical School.

For the UK, I'm actually pretty confused because they give you a MBBS degree and I'm not sure how difficult it will be to come back to compete for residency spots in Canada with that degree. I know several people who have came back to Canada to do residency but not from the UK, though I did notice they only need 3.3/4 GPA and low MCAT or UKCAT which I'm planning to do in October and plus the culture in the UK is different from Canada/US so I'd like that as well.

So far, the British schools I'm looking at are St. George University of London (only need 3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT), Warwick University, Oxford, and UCL.

So, in general, I want to know if it will be harder to do residency in Canada with an MD degree from a US university or from a UK university?

• 1 month later...

From what I heard, it is generally easier to get into the US for a residency matching program. Canada, on the other hand, is an extremely painful and depressing process for International Medical Graduates. What I would recommend is, do your US exam, work in the US regardless of the place because if you want to be a doctor you will be there for the people, not the money. After doing your residency in the States either decide to A) Stay in the States or B) try getting back into Canada. I am applying to several Irish medical schools and I know I will be most likely working in the States instead of my home town of Vancouver, BC. Hope I could help in some way

• 1 month later...
MedSchoolAspirant81991 said:
I'm currently thinking of applying to both US and UK medical schools on top of my regular OMSAS applications.

For the US, I am applying to Columbia, Baylor, Harvard med, John Hopkins, Stanford, Wayne State, University of Chicago, University of Michigan, and Case Western Medical School.

For the UK, I'm actually pretty confused because they give you a MBBS degree and I'm not sure how difficult it will be to come back to compete for residency spots in Canada with that degree. I know several people who have came back to Canada to do residency but not from the UK, though I did notice they only need 3.3/4 GPA and low MCAT or UKCAT which I'm planning to do in October and plus the culture in the UK is different from Canada/US so I'd like that as well.

So far, the British schools I'm looking at are St. George University of London (only need 3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT), Warwick University, Oxford, and UCL.

So, in general, I want to know if it will be harder to do residency in Canada with an MD degree from a US university or from a UK university?

-

How is life at St Andrews? I almost went there for graduate school but then was sucked in by the 'name' and 'prestige' of another place instead. What can I say, I was young. Anyway it turned out to be not very enjoyable and ever since I've kind of wondered what life would have been like if I'd followed my heart and attended St Andrews. Do you play much golf? I heard students get great rates.

• 3 weeks later...
How is life at St Andrews? I almost went there for graduate school but then was sucked in by the 'name' and 'prestige' of another place instead. What can I say, I was young. Anyway it turned out to be not very enjoyable and ever since I've kind of wondered what life would have been like if I'd followed my heart and attended St Andrews. Do you play much golf? I heard students get great rates.

Its ok lol. Can't say i love the rain and the weather. i'm not much of a golf player but i do know that students get discounted rates. Michael Phelps came to town though, which was a pleasant surprise :P. Where did you end up going? Maybe it really is the grass is always greener on the other side

• 3 months later...
It is harder to do residency in Canada with a UK degree because you will apply as an IMG. I'm currently studying medicine in the UK in St. Andrews University so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I was also accepted to St. Georges UofL but I chose St. Andrews in the end because I visited St. Georges and wasn't enamoured by the school (its located inside of a hospital) and the surrounding area. Not to mention London is very expensive to live in.

Overall though, if you can get into any US medical school, I would take it over even Oxford, not for reputation reasons but for practicality reasons. The UK is similar, but different in many ways and it is a longer and harder process to come back to Canada or the US.

Hey - I've just received an acceptance to a few of the UK schools mentioned in this thread as well - seeing as you've been through the process, do you know of any scholarships/grants that would apply to those in our situation? I'll be heading to the UK this coming September.

Hey - I've just received an acceptance to a few of the UK schools mentioned in this thread as well - seeing as you've been through the process, do you know of any scholarships/grants that would apply to those in our situation? I'll be heading to the UK this coming September.

Unfortunately i don't know of any scholarships. Most of everything either requires you to be a Canadian going to a Canadian school or a Brit going to a British school. Very little goes to people going abroad.

There are a few scholarships at St Andrews for North Americans but they aren't worth much and the deadlines have already passed anyways

Your best bet for scholarships is to look at the website of the uni you go to.

Archived