Premed 101 Forums

Electives advice needed!

Hello.

Been reading the forum posts and got lots of info. Great forum btw! Anyhow, here's the situation.

I just ended my second year (pre-clinical) training in Pakistan. Med school here is 5 years: 2 pre-clinic + 3 clinical years. I am a Canadian. My elementary/middle school was in Canada and then my family moved to Pakistan due to some circumstances and I started grade 9 here. And completed high school here. And then entered med school here too! .. Now I will begin my clerkships in a month or two. And I plan on going to North America (USA probably cuz Canada seems like a long shot) for residency training, perhaps IM/Ped/FM. I'm more inclined towards FM. But the weirdest part is, I am as some say weirdly wanting to train/practice in a rural setting! :D

I am currently engaged in two research studies, one which involves a rural topic. Since electives are planned in advance, I started searching now getting an idea about possibilities after my third year before starting my fourth. Considering I will have to appear for the MCCEE for a J-1 for America, I think maybe I can try my luck in Canada as well. Anyhow, I have the following options for electives:

1. Research Elective in America

2. Research Elective in Canada

3. Clinical Elective in Canada

Upon inquiry, I am eligible for a clinical placement in UofT McGill NOSM and a couple other hospitals but I really want to get a rural placement. I want to know, what should I go for? Considering that I may want to apply for the Carms match in 2016, would a clinical elective in Canada this early be of benefit? Would a clinical elective experience in Canada help me in the American match? Or should I not go for a clinical elective and opt for an American research elective?

I would really appreciate some help on this as I am quite confused! Realistic advice would be highly appreciated! :)

I'm not going to be much help with most of your questions about how to best set yourself up to come to Canada or the US, but I can give my 0.02 about rural placements. You'll probably have the most opportunities at NOSM, because by virtue of it's location there's the best access to more rural locations. Hope everything works out for you!

Archived