Premed 101 Forums

Does anyone have an interview on March 3rd?

Guest ibizascientist

Guest noncestvrai

Wow! Hang in there! I wish this is going to be your year.

Is the 3rd one of the first interview days?

That could be huge, if not, make sure you say to your interviewer that you need a super high score for the interview to get in because of the 50/50 breakup of the overall score...and since you would be in the last interviewees, you start with 2 strikes...

Good luck!

noncestvrai

Guest ibizascientist

Salut D! What's up? Long time...

I don't know when UdeM interiews started this year--does anyone? Last year they started around the end of Feb, but I was interviewed March 15th. They gave me a second interview a few weeks later.

One thing is for sure, no suit this year!

Cheers,

Ibiza

Guest noncestvrai

Well second year med now, trying to learn how to become a doctor. Lots to learn, but lots of fun. I wish you all the luck this year.

What's wrong with a suit? Did you wear a man's suit?

noncestvrai

Guest dirtbag1

I think the interviews begin on the 3rd. Mine is on the 6th, anyone else out there for the 6th? BTW, does anyone know of blogs of forums by someone from UdeM?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know when the interviews for the candidats in "changement de programme" category take place? I know there's no hope to get in without a full B.Sc, but I'm giving it a try anyways.

Cheers,

Tangur

Guest ibizascientist

Hi Eng,

I applied--the funny thing is that I haven't even received a confirmation email yet. Bizzaro.

Does anyone know when Laval holds their interviews?

Cheers,

Ibiza ;)

Guest engGirl

I got a confirmation email, and they gave me a ulaval email address and gave me access to ADAGE. Maybe contact them?

How was the APS?! & how much time do you get to write the autobiography (should I start now?)

Thanks soooo much!

Guest allycat03

Ibz!

So good to hear that you're back for another round at UdM. It's so weird how a year goes by so fast. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Chin up, and I hope this is your year! And don't wear a suit if you don't want to. I wore one, and I got in, but a lot of my friends didn't.

Oh and you're on day 2 of interviews (they sent us an email to ask for volunteers for tours).. You're chances are good this year!!!

Guest quebecboy

I think I had something like 2-3 weeks to write the NAS (autobiography). I thought that it was way enough, but it depends on the person. Here's the link for the NAS, and what to include in it:

w3.fmed.ulaval.ca/site_fa...php?id=509

As for the APS, you aren't automatically invited if you were invited for the NAS. The NAS score plus your R score must be high enough to give you access to the APS. The APS is pretty nerve racking before doing it, but once you start, it goes by real fast. It's done in groups of three, with someone evaluating you. You have one role as an MD (no medical knowledge necessary) and another as a non-MD. After this, there's a small break, and then a group discussion on an ethical case.

QcBoy

Guest ibizascientist

Ally, you are my good luck omen! Thanks for the encouragement.

Let's just say... I'm doing my happy dance :rollin

After hearing nothing from Laval post-application, I came home to the NAS invite today!!! Too bad they only give us 12 days to write it. March will be a busy month. Now, if I could only stop procrastinating and prepare for Friday's UdeM interview.

Eng: I hope you get your Laval letter too.

QcBoy: Any pointers on how to write a kick ass NAS?

Guest ibizascientist

There are a few advantages to the tour:

(1) Get more insight into the program/school

(2) Helps put you at ease

(3) Free lunch--well not so free anyomore with the new 100$ interview fee

(4) Guaranteed to be on time for your interview : )

What's your background psychosomatic? Are you currently in school or working? Do you know what to expect at the interview? I can help.

Ibiza

Guest Psychosomatic

I'm in my final year in physiology at McGill.

This is my first med interview, so I'm starting to @#%$ bricks.

What concerns me most is my french-I really hope I'm with a bunch of anglophones.

Guest allycat03

Psychosomatic: I speak french really well (my parents speak only french) but I still got tagged immediately as an anglo. In our group, there was me and another guy, and the interviewer pointed at us and said " You and you. Both of you speak french really well but I can tell you are anglophone, how did you learn french:\ ). We both froze, because we were doing a really good job of faking. As a matter of fact, I didn't even think the guy was anglo! In any case, we are the ONLY 2 in our group that were accepted.

It's hit or miss on this. The first year I was interviewed by hardcore francophone and was NOT accepted. My younger brother also got a hardcore francophone on his first interview, it was hideously terrible that he was called back for a second and was subsequently accepted. The second year one of my interviewers was from Mcgill (THANK FREAKIN' GOD) and I got in. In either case, don't let it hold you back. It's a bit harder in the group interview to have confidence because you know you're anglo, but don't let it stop you from talking. My first year, there were two anglo's, me and another girl, and both of us were incredibly intimidated and said nothing. Both didn't get in, although she was later accepted at Mcgill.

Guest dirtbag1

Hi Ibiza,

My interview is on the 6th and I'd love some advice. How long does the group interview last? What kind of questions did you get? Is it true that they make you write a short personal statement before the individual interview? When did you hear back?

Thanks!!

dirtbag

Guest ibizascientist

Psychosomatic: I went to McGill too (B.Sc. Bio and M.Sc. Medical Genetics)

Dirtbag: The group interview lasted about an hour or so. I'm not exactly sure because it went by so fast. They asked us four questions about recent events, the third of which I can't recall: military presence in Rwanda; violence in schools; and forcing physicians to practice in remote areas. You do have to write a little blurb. It's more like a CV than a personal statement, though. All French med schools give their answers around April 15th.

For all of you with approaching interview dates just remember that this is your time to shine so have some fun with it!

Guest ibizascientist

Today was definitely harder than last year. :rolleyes

Everyone seemed to struggle a little with the group interview. There were a fair number of those awkward silent moments.

I stuck around to chat-up some of my group members and the general consensus was a feeling of being unsure of how our interviews went. Last year I had such a blast during the group interview--it was really fun! I had also left the individual interview thinking that I had been rather convincing. But, then again, I didn't get in last year. Who knows.

My biggest regret is that I didn't go see the admissions coordinator (Dr Ferron?) to find out what I could do to improve my chances. Que sera, sera.

Good luck to all of you interviewing on Monday.

Ibiza

Guest cutieyellow

A little out of the loop lately (yay for vascular surgery),

but to quickly put a few words on the table...

The NAS has to be written as best you can, because it really does make a difference. I have many friends who got really great on the grades part, but that their NAS put them on the bottom of the list. My fiance wrote his NAS like he was writing a letter for Harvard medschool or some other elite school and he got perfect grade 40/40 - man we tease him because we don't know ANYONE else that got perfect marks. So do your best, and remember, your first draft was probably your best one...lol.

CY

Guest ibizascientist

Hi cutie,

Thanks for the post! It is always very helpfull to get the inside perspective. Please check your inbox :)

Ibiza

Guest allycat03

Hey CY,

Haven`t talked to you in a while, but congrats on your engagement :D ! Any chance your going to be showing off your bling? :P

Ibiza: I`m sure you did well on your interview. I remember you from my year, and you had a confident allure in the reunion before classes. Good luck for laval and sherbrooke!

Archived