Premed 101 Forums

"Ontario pharmacists expand services"

ItsyBitsy

Physicians are more expensive, so it's about the financial bottom line.

the alternative to that is it also takes a significant amount of time to go to a physician just for a refill on a script that you've had for the past year+ so in essence its not efficient from a patient-centric perspective.

the alternative to that is it also takes a significant amount of time to go to a physician just for a refill on a script that you've had for the past year+ so in essence its not efficient from a patient-centric perspective.

Right, if you take these sorts of tasks off of their plate perhaps we may find ourselves with enough FP's to serve the population, allowing us to do away with NP-run practices and then we can satisfy those haters!

Right, if you take these sorts of tasks off of their plate perhaps we may find ourselves with enough FP's to serve the population, allowing us to do away with NP-run practices and then we can satisfy those haters!

More like if we keep outsourcing to all the mid levels we won't NEED GPs anymore... :P

I don't like the flu-shot thing. If someone takes an anaphylactic reaction to it, it would require emergency care which a doctor would be better at providing. This is a dangerous thing.

Refilling a long-term prescription makes the assumption that the doctor and patient are still on the same page regarding the patient's therapy. I do not agree with this either.

They mention anti-smoking aids. What do they mean? Wellbutrin? The patch? I don't understand that.

Dude they do flu-shots EVERYWHERE. Skating arenas, college campuses, McDonalds drive thru.

drive thru flu shot..brilliant idea!

on a serious note though, are there studies to confirm that people generally do not get flu shots for lack of availability/accessibility as opposed to being lazy bums/not caring about it? i dont see how increasing availability and or accessibility will necessarily induce demand.

I don't like the flu-shot thing. If someone takes an anaphylactic reaction to it, it would require emergency care which a doctor would be better at providing. This is a dangerous thing.

Refilling a long-term prescription makes the assumption that the doctor and patient are still on the same page regarding the patient's therapy. I do not agree with this either.

They mention anti-smoking aids. What do they mean? Wellbutrin? The patch? I don't understand that.

I work in a Pharmacy, and believe me, every single patient WISHES the Pharmacist could refill their drugs. Also, Pharmacists are very conservative and would only do what they are comfortable with.

People have to go back for a pointless visit to the doctor (and that doctor makes money for 1 minute of re-writing the prescription) and prefer if there was another way of doing this. It sounds very nice (and systematic) to have the patient go and talk to the doctor and see how things are going... but reality is much different.

If everything is going smoothly, why should somebody have to go see a doctor? I know it doesn't sound right, but believe me, it would be much more efficient and less expensive system if they did that. Will that happen anytime soon? Likely not.

Feel free to disagree. :)

Archived