Premed 101 Forums

u of manitoba vs mcmaster

hi guys

I was doin my research into applying for PA at either manitoba or Mcmaster and i noticed that at manitoba the program is offered as a masters while at mcmaster it is offered as a bachelors. I was looked over the courses for both programs and there wasnt much difference in what's done in both programs and in the end dont both graduates end up doing the same job? Anyway I was just wondering if anyone can educate me on why ones a masters vs a bachelors

Thanks

hi guys

I was doin my research into applying for PA at either manitoba or Mcmaster and i noticed that at manitoba the program is offered as a masters while at mcmaster it is offered as a bachelors. I was looked over the courses for both programs and there wasnt much difference in what's done in both programs and in the end dont both graduates end up doing the same job? Anyway I was just wondering if anyone can educate me on why ones a masters vs a bachelors

Thanks

Hello,

I'm not familiar with the program at McMasters but from my classes there is a heavy component on research and evaluating evidence based medicine. We are currently taking courses preparing us to do our Capstone project next year. The capstone from what I've been told is a thorough research paper and presentation. Although we don't have time to do actually "lab bench" research we get involved with researchers that are in that field of interest. This is to give us experience in doing research in medicine and to be able to apply it in the future.

I hope that helps a little :)

hi guys

Thanks

The short answer is political. From what I understand:

At Manitoba the PA program ended-up housed within the School of Graduate studies so it had to be a graduate level degree and at McMaster the PA Program ended-up housed within the School of Medicine and since the M.D. is considered an undergraduate degree it was figured that the PA degree would be an undergraduate degree as well.

Archived