Premed 101 Forums

UBC and Speciality

Guest typerev

Guest typerev

Does anyone know how many UBC grads end up in specialty programs?

Is it hard to get into specialty programs if you go to UBC? Is it really competitive?

I have the option of going to US schools, but as I mentioned before, I cannot really justify the price.

I know I will work as hard as I can in Dental school, but the reality is that sometimes this is not enough.

There will be others in the same boat as I am.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx :)

Guest LestatZinnie

the more desirable dental specialties such as endo, ortho, and oral surgery are very, very competitive. Even for US schools, you typically need to be top 10% of the class to be even considered. Take oral surgery at mcgill for example, I remembered they only take one person per year or every two years. Ortho spots are also very limited- one or two spots at schools that offer them in canada. However, if you go to a US school where they have the specialty you want, then you have a great chance of establishing connections, which is very important. I believe some US schools also reserve one or two spots just for graduates of their own school. Based on what I've learned, ranking, board score, and school reputation are very important.

Guest Saint Seiya

What happens to someone who has practised for a few years, let's say 5 years, and then decided to specialize? Will the class rank be still that important?

Guest predent2003

Saint Seiya, there are many dentist go out and do residency or practise before applying. I have seen ads of dentists practising on the island for a few years and now want to sell their practise because both dentist got into specialty programs.

Getting into a specialty program is very competitive. There are very few number of them out there compared to GPs. For ubc, there are about 2 ppl each year that got into speacialty. This year, one person already got into ortho. Sometimes students don't go into specialty because of things other than grades and school. Money is a big issue considering that you have to pay aother 60000 for 3 years to finish an ortho degree. The top ranked student at ubc last year decided to go into GP rather than applying to specialty program.

I have also heard that it might be easier to get into a specialty in the states if your school has the program, but I can't justify that. The things is your class is huge in the states and it will take some hard work to get to the top spots of your class :P

Guest bcdentalgirl

If you are wanting to get into a specialty, why don't you contact the school at which the specialty programme is offered and ask them. If UBC is a bad idea, they will tell you. This will probablty give you a more realistic idea than looking at simple statistics.

Good luck.

Archived