Premed 101 Forums

UBC and gpa

Guest Tyler

Guest Tyler

Does anyone one know if the worst year that UBC knocks off, if it matters if it was a full course load or if it was only 4/4 courses?

Also wondering if anyone knows how to convert Uvic's 9-point scale to UBC's dent gpa scale? I'll have a 6.55 at the end of this year.

Im thinking that may be about a 80% cumulitive gpa (a fudged guess), is that competitive enough if i have an average DAT, and good xtra-currics?

thanks,

Tyler

Guest Dentist

Hi Tyler,

I don't think UBC does that. However, U of T, Saskat and other dental schools choose the best 2 years to calculate your GPA. You really have to go to their websites and find out how your GPA is calculated. Also they tell you if you are required to take full course load (30credits/yr) or not. Do some research and it will help.

For GPA, in Canada, you at least have to have somewhere around 3.7~8 (~85% ?? maybe) to be safe. You might get an interview with lower GPA but need to show you have an excellent DAT score.

Once you get interviewed, it all depends on how you performed during your interview. If you screw up, 4.0 GPA won't do much. Even with 80% grade, if your interview was successful, you will get in.

Average DAT? does that mean average score which is 15?

You should have above 19~20 DAT score.

schools don't look at your extracurricular... (except UBC, don't know how much it is counted)

All that matters is your GPA.

Guest Tyler

thanks dentist,

I did do research, and UBC does drop your worst year, and there are no gpa conversion scales on their web site or anywhere.

The averages on the UBC site were about 82%, so it seems that 80% might be alright, does anyone know how much UBC counts the extra-curriculars?

Tyler

Guest UBC student

UBC drops a year when you've done 4 years

UBC puts a lot of emphasis on gpa and grades (30% each) and 10 percent in EC's and reference letters

the rest (30%) is for the interview

Not sure how they convert the grades though

good luck~

Guest Tyler

Thanks - that helps,

I will have done 6 years, so no problem for the year drop, which is good cause my first year was awful.

What about for getting the interview? Do you know the percent breakdown?

Do many people do dentist shadowing? Is that something dentist don't mind allowing?

Tyler

Guest Saint Seiya

In that case, your worse year will be dropped, but all the other 5 years will be included in the calculation. I think UBC and UofA do this way. Not sure..... :b You should double check.

Sounds like you didn't want to or consider to apply for dentistry initially, but then something changes your mind?

You'll soon be glad you choose dentistry other than something else. :b

Guest Tyler

I initially wanted to do teaching because I love the kids and wanted to help kids during that tough time in life, but i want a job where I can be learning all the time, so I thought medicine this past year, but I may be too far off the mark because I can't drop my first bad year (where I got a C+ average), so dentistry is just as good, it gives me a practical skill I can take all over the world and who doesn't like clean teeth :)

Im just wondering if there is anything I can do this summer to help my application in anyway.

Tyler

Guest LestatZinnie

in contrary, i think that ubc medicine is quite tolerant of people with a bad year or two, because they place a very high emphasis on the extracurricular components. looking at the stats for ubc med last year, the entrance avg is 83%, versus 82% for dents. So I dunno why everybody gets the idea that if their avg is bad they should go for dents. for well rounded people with low marks i'd say that they have a better chance at meds. >:

anyway my advice is do dentistry because you want to, not because you think you can't get in med. you'd be doing yourself and people who really want to pursue dent a favor.

Archived