Premed 101 Forums

I got into McGill!!!!!

Guest per te

Hey!

I'm so super super super happy I got into McGill. Can you tell I'm excited? I didn't expect this, considering I got completely rejected by UBC (not even waitlisted)

Yay!!!

Per te

by email :):):):)

I heard from a dental student, when we went to McGill for the interview, that we are notified by phone. Maybe they called me while I was at my lab?.. the ONE day that my answering machine was disconnected... lol or maybe they didn't call at all...

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Oh my god I'm soooo excited! I just found out that I got accepted too! :lol

Now I have to try and find a way to organize a deposit from Cuba (within 7 days!) - hope my parents can help me out since there isn't too much that I can do from here!

CONGRATS per te! And good luck to everyone else! :D

Guest YYCdentboi

No email or phone call for me :( Well, it was a privilege just to be invited to an interview at McGill...

Good luck to you guys!

..maybe this will bump me up on the waiting list at UBC now ;)

Guest Pearly Whites

Hey twin! and per te! congrats!!! i'll be seeing you two there :rollin

don't give up hope YYCdentboi, it's still early in the game! i expect the waitlist to shift by quite a bit once the ontario schools start accepting students

Guest LestatZinnie

from last year's calender instrument fee is 26000 for the entire 4 years. Good thing is that you are buying the instruments and can keep them, rather than paying large sum of money just to rent them like at some schools.

Guest Saint Seiya

Hey Zinnie (Is your real name Zinnie? That will be cool :b ), how much do you pay for your rent, hydro, electricity, internet, phone? How is the cost of foods compared to Western Canada, like Edmonton or Vancouver?

How about campus residence and bus fee? Is the campus residence good for dental students?

Guest predent2003

Good job everyone, and Congradulation!!!;)

Too bad I won't be seeing you guys there. I bet they could tell that Montreal is too cold for me:b

We'll all keep in touch on this board:D

Guest LestatZinnie

saint seiya: are you from b.c.? asian? i used to watch the saint seiya cartoon when i was a kid back in taiwan..haha.

to answer your question, rent here runs from 500-700, typically within walking distance to campus. utilities usually included. i pay 80/m for my phone and internet package. the real gripe i have is food. i can not get good chinese or japanese food for cheap here like in vancouver, so i cook now everyday which ends up being about same price as eating out in van, since eating out in van is so cheap. however for western/fast food price is same. grocery price is about same.

i dont think it's easy for dental students to get in dorm as they're reserved for sophomore students. no one i know lives in dorm.

you are very wise to ask about accomodation since factoring this in, coming here may be more expensive than staying at home with parents. since i lived by myself in van, this is not factor for me. i also save transportation money here because i'd have to drive in van, whereas walking gets me everywhere here. the insurance/gas/ parking money i saved can let me fly back a few times already. hope this helps.

Guest LestatZinnie

about the instrument fee: anyone who wants detailed mcgill tuition can go to their calender. the total 4 yr tuition based on this year's figures is $64247 (they go up slightly every year, but nothing dramatic)

The above figure does not include books though. I'd add another grand or two for those. (I spent about 300 bucks on books this year, but i didnt buy every recommended book because the class notes package is very good)

Does anyone know if McGill sends out rejection emails? If you don't receive any email from them is the rejection implied? Would they tell you if you are waitlisted vs. rejected? Expecting the worst here so it's alright...

Guest LestatZinnie

there is no rejection at mcgill. if you didnt receive an email then you're automatically on the waitlist (they should've told you this at interview). Last year I received an email saying what position of waitlist I was on after about a month, and a personal phone call followed with admission letter after being removed from waitlist about another month later. dont give up guys- everything's still game until school starts imo.

Guest Saint Seiya
saint seiya: are you from b.c.? asian? i used to watch the saint seiya cartoon when i was a kid back in taiwan..haha.

Taiwan, too. :b It's very popular in Europe and South America as well, but somehow it never gets into North American market...there, a wonderful job opportunity for someone who can make it happen (everyone knows the guy who becomes Hollywood-rich after bringing Power Rangers into North America, right?).......in fact, it's so popular that new episodes are being broadcasted in Japan since last year.

Archived