Premed 101 Forums

Personal letters without a word limit... what's your word limit?

tooty

• 11 months later...
The software doesn't cut off any words.

It's up to each program whether they consider the word limits firm.

thanks lactic folly!

btw, this might seem quite a silly question, but should one list their contact info in the letter, and address it to someone in particular?

like:

"jane smith,

13 land of rainbows and butterflys

postal code

phone

email

dear most excellent program director/resident recruitment committee member

i am devilishly interested in your ze awesome program...

bla bla"

thanks lactic folly!

btw, this might seem quite a silly question, but should one list their contact info in the letter, and address it to someone in particular?

like:

"jane smith,

13 land of rainbows and butterflys

postal code

phone

email

dear most excellent program director/resident recruitment committee member

i am devilishly interested in your ze awesome program...

bla bla"

No.

If you are short for space cut the name/address details. I think I started all of mine: dear selection committee.

Your carms application is either viewed online OR printed out. (It looks like that awkward "preview application" layout that most people don't like reading because it comes as a million pages followed by the personal and reference letters. (Unless they've changed it lately?)

I don't think 532 matters if the limit is 500. That being said, a good editor can always cut 32 words out! Find the extra words yourself or get a friend to help!

• 2 weeks later...

The vast majority of these letters look pretty much exactly the same...

Be short and sweet and to the point. This is not the place for an essay, 1000+ words is pushing it. Make sure you direct your answer towards the prompt given. If you can it's nice to indirectly tie in your CV highlights or unique features of your app. Do try to be specific about why you want to attend that particular program.

Archived