Premed 101 Forums

UBC - housing

Guest DentGirl2004

Guest DentGirl2004

Hi!

I've noticed that there are few people on this board from Vancouver and I was just wondering you could suggest housing areas in Vancouver that are relatively close to campus, and also provide any info you have on how to search for accomodation in the Vancouver area. Thanks a lot!

:)

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Hi there!

There are some areas that seem to be preferred by UBC students since they are closer to campus. Point Grey is an area right outside of the UBC gates - there are lots of students living there. Most of the accomodations here are either houses (you would have to have roommates) or basement suites. Kitsilano is another very popular area that is just a bit further away from UBC. Accomodation is pretty much the same here but there are a few more apartments available, especially north of West 4th towards the ocean (near the beach! It's a really nice area!).

As for finding a place, my personal experience has told me that the best place to look for available housing is in the paper (Vancouver Sun or the Province). You can actually search the classifieds online which is quite convenient. There is also a line at UBC where you can search rental postings geared towards UBC students. Here is the link:

www.amsrentsline.com/

I'm not sure what city you're moving from but you will most likely find that the cost of renting is quite high in Vancouver. I'm living downtown in a small studio for $650/month and that's an absolute steal. Also, lots of people try to rip student off by renting @#%$ basements suites near campus for WAY too much money. Then again, there are those who actually have everyone's best interest in mind (thank god!).

It can be really hard to find a place if you're not physically in Vancouver. Since availability can be quite limiting, you have to be able to act quickly to get a place. I would suggest making a trip out here on the August long weekend (if you want something for September) or talking to an agent who can find something for you.

Good luck!

Guest DentGirl2004

Thanks sooo much!! House hunting is STRESS :eek (especially when you're not from the area) so any help is much appreciated!

I'm from the East but will hopefully be making a trip to Vancouver over the May long weekend so hopefully something will turn up then!

The info you posted is great! Thanks again!

:)

Guest predent2003

Downtown?? $650??? You got yourself an awsome deal Pearly!!

Anyway, housing in Vancouver isn't that easy. If you want anything close to school and in decent quality, you'll have to pay quite a bit. There are a lot of ppl posting ads around school to share house/apt with, but you might end up staying with a party animal:p

Guest pearlywhitesBC

I just noticed that one of the words that I wrote in my post got changed to some symbols. Hmmmmm...is that the moderator? If so - sorry! :\

I didn't think that that word would be taken offensively but I guess it's better to err on the side of caution.

Guest Ian Wong

Nope. That's the automatic censor built into the EZBoard site. :) If a moderator edits your message, there will always be an indicator at the bottom of that message stating that someone has modified your post.

Ian

Guest bcdentalgirl

If you are willing to look east of Main Street, your chances of finding something reasonable other than a basement suite go up significantly. If you're not from here, a couple of good areas are around commercial drive (it's near the B-line bus route - the express bus to and from UBC), anywhere near King Edward St (25th ave), 41st, Nanaimo or Joyce Skytrains. These are all areas with access to one-stop transit to UBC.

Guest depump

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and I just found this treasure chest to be absolutely amazing....you guys have awesome advice and the environment in this board is pretty chill.

I have a question about housing too! I'm debating whether it would be better to live on campus and pay the hefty rent or find a place that is a bit close to VGH so that commuting would not be as harsh...

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has applied to Thunderbird or have had experience living in rez? Thanks! ;)

Archived