Premed 101 Forums

McGill vs UBC-

Guest LestatZinnie

Guest LestatZinnie

hi all

I'm torn!!! i was all set on going to ubc when mcgill called me and offered me admission this morning. i live in vancouver so ubc is definitely my first choice...but the TUITION!!!! at 40k per year at UBC, i can save almost 100k by going to mcgill. the dilemma is killing me. can anybody offer their opinions on the relative merits of the two schools?? is it true that mcgill is more presitigious??

-Edited the subject to get rid of the all-caps. Please don't type subject headings with all capital letters. Thx! -Ian

Guest medicator007

Hey,

The ultimate dilemma... multiple acceptances... congratulations first off.

I honestly don't know much about UBC, but permit me to make a few comments about McGill if i may (I'm in med though, so do take that into consideration)

There is no doubt that giving the cost of living and the tuition here that from a financial standpoint McGill has a major edge.

However, this prestige issue is fairly overexaggerated in my opinion and has to be taken in proper context. Prestige is not strictly related to the quality of the education, which i feel is equally high at all canadian institutions. McGill does have an international reputation and may be better known in CERTAIN circles than other schools... a fact which may only help if you were planning on applying to the US for a residency.

There are many good reasons to go to both schools, but I wouldnt let this "prestige" thing play a major factor!

As always, just my two cents....

Medicator

Guest Pearly Whites

Hi Lestat!

First of all, CONGRATS!!!

I'm also a Vancouverite and since I'll be applying this September, I've also given this issue some thought.

From talking to previous UBC grads and some fourth year dental students, the message i get is that UBC dentistry really is not worth the high tuition they charge. The main complaint i hear (i'm not sure if other universities are better, but i suspect they may be) is that the first two years are with the med students so they don't get much on dentistry until the third and fourth year. Even the profs there think this is very unfortunate for the students and as far as I know, the curriculum isn't about to change any time soon. Hope this helps.

Guest gbutt

There is no need to diss UBC. It's a great school in a great city with great weather. Every school has something to offer, and no school stands out more than any other. UBC has a new dental clinic in the near future (2-3 years) when we get to use it. The money factor seems quite large, but its not really because in your first year of work you will make 100K. In the end, its really comes down to where u want to live. hopefully this helps.

Guest Pearly Whites

i love ubc and all, but i'm merely relaying what i've heard from many dental students at ubc. of course, this may be biased since i havent had a chance to talk to students from other univ to see what the other programs are like. in terms of the clinic, i've asked Dr. Lowe from the admissions committee and it does not seem that the clinic will be completed or in use any time soon

First of all congrat to you

Finances aside, I believe both schools offer an excellent program, I think what is most important is what you make out of the program, and how you approach it. At the end, you will end up being a dentist after graduation.

I don't think you would lose out picking either one.

I heard great feedbacks from both schools.:)

If you don't mind me asking, what is your number on the waiting list for McGill. Because I have a pretty low number on that list too.

Good luck

Guest LestatZinnie

i think i was #5. when i phoned in they told me i'm #2, then i got email saying i'm #5, so i dunno.

are u going there next yr?

Guest bcdentalgirl

I lived in Montreal for 5 years and loved every minute of it . The cold and the language issues are minor compared to what an awesome, beautiful and fun city it is. The people are great, it's cheap to live there, there's so much to do and McGill is in the middle of downtown.

So what I'm saying is, the experience of living in Montreal will be great, if that helps your decision at all.

Good luck and congats!

(PS, one more point for Montreal: beer at the corner store!);)

Guest LestatZinnie

ya montreal is a really fun city- but it doesnt beat vancouver imo. vancouver is just simply the best- balmy weather, modern, and diverse. i have lived in a handful of places, but i have to say vancouver is the nicest city in canada to live in, if just for the weather alone. besides, vancouver is a gourmet's paradise (pretty hard to find all u can eat sushi in montreal, for example) the downside? everything is expensive (yes that includes tuition >_< )

Guest anitz2006

Hi there..

I was just wondering..what yr of university do ppl normally apply to med school... would i apply near the end of my third yr?

Guest medicator007

Hey there anitz2006,

Just for future reference you should try and post med school questions in the premed forum and not the predent one..

The simple answer to your question is that it depends on which school you are applying to. By and large most students who enter med school have completed a Bachelors degree, in fact some schools require it (mcgill, with exception of med-p program) and so the typical time to apply is in the fall of your final year.

That being said, I've heard that there are several schools who will take a small number of students who have completed 3/4 or even 2/4 (calgary?) of their bachelors.

Hope that answers your question!

Medicator

Archived