Premed 101 Forums

Plug Dis

Guest dentistwannabe

Guest dentistwannabe

Hi Plug Dis you mentioned you had a 3.87 GPA and did not get into U of T, I have a 3.75 GPA and want to get into U of T, but I am feeling scared now :( because with your stellar GPA im surprised :eek you did not get in, isnt GPA worth 70%, are there any reasons you can think of besides GPA that you did not get in? What do you think my chances are? Thanks :)

Guest Plug Dis

Yeah dude,

My interview which I thought went so so, was what kept me out of the school. The thing is, the people who are accepted have GPAs that are very close to each other....I imagine most are around 3.75-3.85. So really my 3.87 probably didn't stand out that much eventhough it was worth 70%. Secondly, last year my DAT scores were pretty crappy. I heard they were worth almost nothing so I didn't study....I had 15 in PAT, and 19 in Academic(the two scores they consider). My interview score which I found out later to be 20/35 buried the stake and I was sunk. This year I applied with a 4.0(dropped my worst year), my DATs have changed to 21 Academic, 17 PAT, so this should help, and I now know the types of questions they're going to ask so I should have a pretty good chance in my interview. I'll admit don't lie in the interview....I only told the truth on two questions, all my other answers were "made up". They must have known I was lying but their facial expressions nor their body language would tell me otherwise. Its hard to be yourself in the interview because they pry at some aspects of your personality that you know aren't the way you should be, yet they expect you to be that way. For example, when they asked..Have you ever experienced dishonest behaviour and what did you do.....I mean come on everyone has.....but really I could care less about telling anyone about it....that's not what they want to hear by the way. See here is the thing....I talked to my dentist and he said just be yourself and you will get in for sure.......Not so. You have to be the person they want you to be and that's why I totally disagree with their interviewing methods and I loved the interview I had at McGill. At McGill its very low pressure and you can just be yourself...first question was tell me about yourself...I'm not kidding it was like having a long chat with a bunch of professionals. Any interview has bias and I don't care if UofT or Western or anyone else who uses the crappy ADA style interview format believes that it decreases bias...it helps select "fake" personalities because you are pressured into answering the questions in a certain way...Heck I have even heard there are specific right and wrong answers to these questons...What a joke. Anyways dentistwannabe, I know people who were accepted and got in from the waiting list who had 3.75's so don't fret. Keep your marks up, do well on the DAT, and hope for a miracle during the interview(because that's really what anyone needs) and you'll get in, I'm sure of it. Take it easy, don't be stressed and enjoy life. Peace Out

Plug

Guest dentistwannabe

Hey Plug Dis thank you so much for your apply I really appreciate it. I wanted to clarify something also, I spoke to one of the admission ladies at U of T and she told me that one needs a 3.5 to get an interview at U of T, so basically if you get an interview is the interview what makes or breaks you? because I still think having a 3.87 is an advantage over 3.5, but not over 3.8 or so.

On one of your previous posts you said u of t gives out 100 acceptatances for 64 spots, do the people after 64, like lets say your the 65 th person are you first on the waiting list, or is person 101 first on the waiting list.

Thank you once again :)

Guest Plug Dis

65 is first on the waitlist. And no the interview is what makes or breaks you compared to people in the 3.7-3.9 range I would imagine. People with a 3.5 better have a graduate degree and 25 + on their DATs as well as a VERY good interview score in order to get accepted.

Guest toothyhuh

Hi PlugDis, what'd you mean by ADA sytle interview (re:UofT)? I've heard the interview is of the situational type? Could you shed more light? Thanks a lot.

Archived