Premed 101 Forums

Rural/Remote FM Residencies

els

Hi Guys,

Im looking to apply for FM next years CARMS, and I want some advice about which schools have the best FM residencies for preparing you to work in a rural/remote setting. I plan on practicing in a rural setting, possibly even a fly in community and I would like to be prepared for the unique challenges that you are presented with.

I guess I just dont think a generic Urban FM residency from say U of T would best prepare you to practice someplace where you are the only person, and may have to work under unique circumstances.

I've heard through friends and colleagues that Memorial, UBC Chilliwack, and UofA RAN(Red deer and Grande prairie) are some good locations. Any FM docs or Residents out there have any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Im looking to apply for FM next years CARMS, and I want some advice about which schools have the best FM residencies for preparing you to work in a rural/remote setting. I plan on practicing in a rural setting, possibly even a fly in community and I would like to be prepared for the unique challenges that you are presented with.

I guess I just dont think a generic Urban FM residency from say U of T would best prepare you to practice someplace where you are the only person, and may have to work under unique circumstances.

I've heard through friends and colleagues that Memorial, UBC Chilliwack, and UofA RAN(Red deer and Grande prairie) are some good locations. Any FM docs or Residents out there have any suggestions?

Thanks

UofM?, i think they cover pretty much the whole nunavut, some parts of NWT, northern manitoba and probably do tonnes of fly-ins

http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/units/family_medicine/postgrad/northernremotestream.html

churchill, the pas, flin flon, extreme north in Nunavut, NWT

Archived