Premed 101 Forums

The $$$$ Question

Guest LestatZinnie

Guest LestatZinnie

HI all...

with the extremely high cost of dentistry (averaging 3-40K per year, MUCH HIGHER than med school), do you guys think dental school is a sound investment??

How much is a newly graduated dental student expected to make???? Anybody has salary information????

Guest Plug Dis

About 65-100G depending on where you start working and how busy it will be. I already have a job lined up and the owner assured me that I'd pull in about 80-100G my first year....yeah not a bad investment if you ask me. Even if you are 150Gs in the hole after four years of dental school, most dentists make about 150G per year in their prime so money should really not be the issue....The issue is DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE A DENTIST........not a doctor.

Peace,

Plug

Guest LestatZinnie

60-80K is the figure I've been getting at most places. And oh yeah I'm totally into dent. I was never that interested in med. anyway the reassurance makes me feel better about putting down the $$$ for my classes next year (regrettably, i could've got a nice BMW with a year's tuition....weep) ^^

just for curiosity....how much do family doctors pull in after graduation?????

Guest kellyl20

In large city: first 3 yrs to establish a new practice. earnings about $300K NET but before taxes after 10 yrs of pratice, a little better than most GPs with a 2000 patient load who will bill around $200-$250K GROSS and also before taxes. About $250K to start a new dental practice. Associates do not make much. :D

Guest dentwannabe

I agree with Plug Dis. The dentists that I've talked to said that I'll make $80-100K the first year after I graduate. They also told me that it's more like $500K to start your own practice. I guess that's why so many new dentists decide to go into a partnership so that they can share the cost (ie. then there would only be $250K each in start up fees)....Don't worry about the money too much though. I'm sure if you're good at what you do you'll have enough patients and it won't take you long to pay off your student loans. A friend of mine graduated from Dalhousie dents a few years ago and it took him less than 4 years to pay off his student loans. Although, he lived quite modestly when he first started out...

dentwannabe

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Oceanamax

These are very good questions, and good to be considering them before you enter a field. Here is one experience, from a friend of mine who graduated from dents 10 years ago this year.

First three years: Associated p-t with several practices in Toronto area: No overhead - Income approx $65,000 before taxes (this was 1993-5 remember)

4th year: Bought a part-time practice in a rural community:

Cost: Less than $200K (old equipment, but usable, and no land or building - practice was located in a dental clinic owned by another dentist; rent reasonable; active patient base small since had been run part-time)

Income 1st year in practice: $105,000

Practice built up over next few years....

2002: Income $205,000 on gross billings of approx $400,000.

To reduce the tax bill he income splits with his wife - she gets paid for bookkeeping/management, while also caring for their kids. This guy only works about 35 hours/week, no "official" call (but does sometimes attend to emergencies on weekends or afterhours), very low stress work. He takes about 4 weeks vacation/year as well as days off here and there. At this point, the only way he could increase his income significantly would be to grow the practice by moving facilities, adding 2 more ops, increasing hygeinist hours, increasing his own worked hours and/or taking on an associate. This is plausible, but would also increase stress levels etc - which he is not into :lol . He has a pretty nice work week and very nice lifestyle, as well as a very comfortable salary (especially since his cost of living is quite low since he lives in a rural area).

Archived