Premed 101 Forums

DDS application question

Guest Shahenshah

Guest Shahenshah

well I figure I might as well throw in an application to dentistry as I don't want to regret later that I didn't..But, could you tell me where in UofT's dentistry application do you have to indicate your volunteering stuff and things like that..i.e. where do they get the application profile from..or is everything asked only during interviews

A essay is required as part of the UT application, where you will write about your why do you choice dentistry as your career, academic achievements, activities & volunteering experiences etc.

Based on my last year experiences, UT's interview is scenario-based, for instance, they asked "if this happen... then what will you do?" or "give an example from your life that is similar to this case...". They didn't ask me any of the "standard" question.

Guest Shahenshah

but the application does not explicitly ask for the essay and hence my confusion..I think I might be going crazy after doing so many applications, but I honestly cannot see it written anywhere asking for an essay..could someone please point it out to me

I second your observations S....

I am also interested in applying UT Dents...

as far as I am concerned there is no essay

just filling out of marks from previous courses....

it sounds too good to be true though...

As far as i remember, there's nothing mention about the essay on the application form... but you can get a application brouchure ( i got that in person from the admission...) from where I think they mention about the essay. Not sure whether they have changed anything this year, it's the best to call them up & ask.

Here is what I got from the UT application guideline:

"If there is information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Faculty of Dentistry to assist in the assessment of your qualifications, please present this information (not to exceed 750 words) on standard-size paper and include it with the application. "

This is the "essay" that I was talking about. It sounds like an optional thing... so I guess if you don't have anything special that you want to bring to their attention, you don't have to include this part.

Guest bad hombre

hey guys,

i think the confusion arises from the fact that toronto required an essay a couple of years back instead of an interview. obviously, they realized that an interview can provide a much better judgment of person's character rather than an essay. hope this clears things up.

Guest Shahenshah

I checked with UofT dentistry adcom today and they said there were NO essay requirements since last year...the 750 word essay is ONLY meant to explain an extenuating circumstance(s) during your academic career..thanx to all for the posts

you said: "obviously, they realized that an interview can provide a much better judgment of person's character rather than an essay."

I just want to emphasize that whether an interview is better than an essay is "obviously" an opinion, not a fact. I'm not sure that it's better at all, although I certainly don't want to debate the issue.

Guest Shahenshah

i personally do think that an interview is a better gauge than an essay wherein you can exaggerate things and are not put on the spot to verify your claims...of course there are the seasoned cheaters but they would have got away if it was either an essay or an interview..the 'best' would perhaps be having both since you enjoy the pros of both..but if I had to choose one, I'd choose interview as they see me the person and not me the words..patients don't really care if I can write well but they care if I have certain basic interpersonal skills at the very least

Guest bad hombre

I honestly believe that you can learn a lot more about a person in 5 minutes than by reading 20 pages of his/her stories and achievements.

The vast majority of the significant interactions we have with others occur in real time and in person. When you're dating someone, would you rather send love letters and e-mails or go out for dinner and a movie?

As a dentist, you'll make your patients feel comfortable by exchannging smiles and words, not by giving them a written greeting when they come into your office and a nice thank you card once they leave.

Peace.

I really don't think that's the point. Some people who generally have great interpersonal skills get shy and nervous at interviews. Some people who are dishonest and have awful interpersonal skills are smooth and charismatic at interviews. I think for SOME people an interview is not the best way to portray themselves. My essay was a thoughtful, honest, considered description of myself. And I KNOW I'm going to freak out during my interview, even though I'm generally not that way.

Guest bad hombre

peachy,

You make a great point. I agree that in many cases an interview may not be perfect at screening for people who will make good dentists, doctors, or any other position requiring an interview.

I guess that's why it's important to stay cool ;)

good luck with your interviews :)

Well I hate interviews too, but I think that a good dentist ought to be fairly adept at making small talk with the patients and also in doing dental education/ explanation of procedures etc. Interviews are a way to showcase these skills.

Essays are not necessarily a more honest medium; not that I advocate it but it's possible to twist the truth a little bit, and get help from other people when writing it.

A compromise involving both the essay and interview could work but obviously this will be the most costly to administer.

Archived