Premed 101 Forums

Full time vs. part time years

Hello everyone.

I was just looking at the application manual and it said that part-time studies and summer courses would not be included in the GPA calculation. As a result, your worst year can't be dropped. My first two years were part time due not really knowing what I wanted to do.

In any case, does this mean that they will only take my last two years (which will be full time) into consideration (as you need a minimum of two full-time years to even apply)?

What if I won't be graduating by the 4th year?

Thanks.

Yes, they will only use your full time years in the calculations, and you will not be able to drop either of them if you only have 2. Your part time years will not be considered in your GPA (though, they are assessed as part of the assessment of academic merit).

My understanding is that you do not need to graduate from your undergrad within any specific timeframe, so you should be able to apply even if you're not graduating at the end of your 4th year.

Thanks for the help! Is it possible to explain our part-time years? For example, 18 credit per year is considered full time at my university (for the purpose of applying for student loans, receiving a student pass, etc.). I also was not sure what I wanted to do in my first 2 years, so I was not really aware of the requirements of all the schools.

There is a section for "additional comments" where you can explain application anomalies.

Although, if I were in your situation, I'm not convinced I'd draw attention to it, or whether it's actually a big deal at all. If you did well in your 2 full time years, it satisfies the requirement and it speaks for itself. It would certainly be ideal if you had some ECs during your part time years to round them off. But, that's just my opinion.

I think you could explain the 18-credit years in the additional comments section, but keep it brief for their sake (not that I should talk, but oh well).

In any case, most schools have 18-credits for FT status for loans and scholarships, but most med schools need at least 24 credits for it to be considered a FT year. :)

7, 10, 10, 7, with god knows how many spring summer... prob effing 12-16... and i got an academic score of like 42 out of 50 on the old grading scheme, plus got in, wouldnt worry

Hello everyone.

I was just looking at the application manual and it said that part-time studies and summer courses would not be included in the GPA calculation. As a result, your worst year can't be dropped. My first two years were part time due not really knowing what I wanted to do.

In any case, does this mean that they will only take my last two years (which will be full time) into consideration (as you need a minimum of two full-time years to even apply)?

What if I won't be graduating by the 4th year?

Thanks.

7, 10, 10, 7, with god knows how many spring summer... prob effing 12-16... and i got an academic score of like 42 out of 50 on the old grading scheme, plus got in, wouldnt worry

Ah I see. Thanks for the help, everyone. Were you IP or OOP? What other schools did you apply and interview at if you don't mind me asking?

u of a, got in both, ip

i wish every day i took u of c or went to the states... but i got that whole neurovisual thing and was half blind at the app deadline, personally i wanted calgary or mac (3.8 and 13, would have been in prob), and didn't know americans were as easy as they are (they're not, but comparable to good canadian schools... i just wish i was somewhere were people seemed to matter more than academics, not that well, i wont go into academics... but i hate this ****ing corrupt provicince, know so much i don't want to be about awful things...

like i love when people say stanford... oh, someones a dreamer... when its more the program, honestly after talking to cerena i wish i was even at unbc.

personally, i would transfer anywhere now, but ive sort of snapped, i better find another school, or i may just snap ... i forget the misrecordia... i hope someone in the know reads this, cause well... if i'm ever lied too again, intimidated, if i dont get what i want, well, i wouldnt want to be half the heads of our reg agency. and i like those guys... so im sure they can make something happen... the last one who was pulling this **** sure had fun on those imbezzling charges... ****, and that's not even a big deal comparatively

Ah I see. Thanks for the help, everyone. Were you IP or OOP? What other schools did you apply and interview at if you don't mind me asking?

u of a, got in both, ip

i wish every day i took u of c or went to the states... but i got that whole neurovisual thing and was half blind at the app deadline, personally i wanted calgary or mac (3.8 and 13, would have been in prob), and didn't know americans were as easy as they are (they're not, but comparable to good canadian schools... i just wish i was somewhere were people seemed to matter more than academics, not that well, i wont go into academics... but i hate this ****ing corrupt provicince, know so much i don't want to be about awful things...

like i love when people say stanford... oh, someones a dreamer... when its more the program, honestly after talking to cerena i wish i was even at unbc.

personally, i would transfer anywhere now, but ive sort of snapped, i better find another school, or i may just snap ... i forget the misrecordia... i hope someone in the know reads this, cause well... if i'm ever lied too again, intimidated, if i dont get what i want, well, i wouldnt want to be half the heads of our reg agency. and i like those guys... so im sure they can make something happen... the last one who was pulling this **** sure had fun on those imbezzling charges... ****, and that's not even a big deal comparatively

I don't think I am understanding your frustration. How did the school lie to you (I assume you mean UofA)?

wow, imagine lying, and imagine something sort of criminal, on the severe side, and yeah, not the u of a, the people who were telling the u of a to do wut i say, but im done with whole thing, no one has any idea how corrupt things really are it's sad, and like **** it... oh, yeah the guy, where, at the mis, yeah, doing bad things and not meeting me... sorry, no get out of jail free card... so yeah, hopefully thinks work out

I don't think I am understanding your frustration. How did the school lie to you (I assume you mean UofA)?

Archived