Premed 101 Forums

STATES

Guest yellow

Guest yellow

I have a problem that many ppl I know share. Many of us are in the process of completing our undergrads at Canadian universities. Unfortunately, an English course hasn't been a part of any of our course loads over the years. This is unfortunate because many US dental schools require English (University level, NOT OAC) as a prerequisite. I've even recently discovered that a couple of Canadian schools are requiring English prereq. This is not good news.. I'm going into my 4th and final year of undergrad, and I need to decide if I should take Year 1 English JUST FOR DENTISTRY. Don't get me wrong cuz my number choice is dentistry, but it just seems unfair...

if anyone else is facing this situation... let me know what's up...

what are you going to do?

and if there are people who know of good US schools that don't require ENGLISH...let me know ASAP!!! I heard US schools operate on rolling admissions, so I gotta get going!..

THANKS.

Guest plugger

Actually yellow,

A lot of U.S dental schools accept OAC english, make sure you email or call the schools. However I'm more interested in private education because its very difficult to get into a public school if you are not a resident. Schools that I know accept OAC english - Case Western(cleveland), Nova(Ft. Lauderdale), Marquette(Milwaukee), Detroit Mercy, Temple(Philly), U of Mich, Suny at Buffalo, I think even UofKentucky. Schools like Columbia and NYU, Tufts(Boston), and Boston Univ I believe also accept it but call the school on that one. These four schools are rediculously expensive, (like 15Gs more per year Canadian in tuition alone) Also the cost of living in these areas is also much higher. Schools in the West may be the only schools that require a univ english but check. I know in canada as long as you apply east of manitoba schools don't require anything past OAC. Check it out.

Guest yellow

just another question concerning the states...

what is the situation like for someone getting their DDS down south? What if he/she wanted to come back to Canada to open up shop? Is this a difficult transition and what would be the steps involved?

Guest yellow

I've heard about obtaining loans/grants/whatever if going to US schools...

are these of any help... or is the debt issue that serious.

Guest diencephalon

Public i.e. State school are funded by the government..

Private on the otherhand is independant of the government, they're funded by grants donations, corporations, etc...eg. Iowa State, University of Washington, UCSF

That's why if you apply to private, most dont care whether your international or not, they treat you the same as Americans (shudder) and you pay the same fees...eg. Stanford, Harvard, Vanderbilt,

In Canada, all universities are government funded; thats why many are an*l about taking in internl. students to dentistry and medicine...since the idea is our taxpayers' money should be helping Canadians, not foreigners

Guest yellow

alright, government funded vs corporate funded...

so which would be more expensive to attend?...

how do you know when you apply to a US school if it is public or private?

Do you know of any US Northeastern dental schools that are public/private (whichever is less expensive to attend as a Canadian)?

thanks for your help

Archived