Premed 101 Forums

1) I'm not 100% sure if you can give consent for a surgical procedure as a minor, tbh. However, I don't see the point of hiding this from your parents, as it'll be painfully obvious when suddenly one day you come home with all your moles missing and sutures sticking out of your face everywhere.

2) Yes, you can have them surgically removed. I wouldn't do it if they are flat, because you WILL get a scar, so the trade from a mole to a scar is only worth it if the moles are raised and very prominent; IMO, anyway.

3) As a cosmetic service, it is NOT covered by insurance. If you go to a dermatologist, it'll cost an arm and a leg; when I did a derm elective, my preceptor quoted $200+ to remove a mole. If the patient wanted to get more moles removed, it would be less than $200 per mole, but still very expensive overall. I would go to a GP and find one who is comfortable with suturing someone's face. Some GPs enjoy procedures, perform biopsies and excisions regularly, and are ok with putting in sutures on someone's face; others may refuse to do so. It'll cost you way less to have a GP do it.

4) Personally, I had a few moles removed on my body (they were getting irritated by my pants' waistband) as well as my face (for esthetic purposes), and would like to remove more in the future. I was very happy with the result. I had a general surgeon I knew personally do the ones on my face, so it was free, and I also got someone who's very skilled. I have very small scars that are certainly better than the moles I had before, so I'd definitely recommend it if your moles really bother you.

1) I'm not 100% sure if you can give consent for a surgical procedure as a minor, tbh. However, I don't see the point of hiding this from your parents, as it'll be painfully obvious when suddenly one day you come home with all your moles missing and sutures sticking out of your face everywhere.

You can consent as long as the physician feels that you are capable to.

Generally, you need to show that you understand what will happen, the consequences of your actions, and the risks involved.

Archived