Premed 101 Forums

Pathology - Job market still bad?

Hey guys,

I've leaning towards applying for pathology during next years CARMS, but I've heard that the job market is pretty saturated. Most of the attendings and residents I've talked to at my home school seem to agree with this, but they also brush it off with comments like "jobs always seem to open up at the right time" or "you can subspecialize while you wait for a job to open up". I'm not sure if I find those comments reassuring. Are there any path residents or keeners who can chime in here? What have you guys heard? Does it look like the job market is getting any better in the near future?

Also, I know GPs are going the way of the dodo, but I do find the idea of working in a community hospital more appealing than an academic centre. Does anyone know if the GP job market is any different from that of APs?

Thanks in advance guys!

This seems to be a problem in a lot of different specialties. Honestly, I tried to take that into consideration myself when I was thinking of what to do in residency... but at the end of the day, you want to do something you like. And pretty much the only guarantee seems to be in family medicine.

This seems to be a problem in a lot of different specialties. Honestly, I tried to take that into consideration myself when I was thinking of what to do in residency... but at the end of the day, you want to do something you like. And pretty much the only guarantee seems to be in family medicine.

What about the EXCITING fields of psych, geriatrics, endocrinology, and rheumatology, among others. (note sarcasm)

What about the EXCITING fields of psych, geriatrics, endocrinology, and rheumatology, among others. (note sarcasm)

Some people dont want excitement in there jobs. They get it outside of their jobs. Although I am not interested in the those specialities certain personalities will gravitate to them regardless of how much you put them down. They are needed.

There was an article in the CAP journal that shows that the supply of pathologists has not grown nearly as fast as other medical specialties, and that the population: pathologist ratio actually has gone down since 1998. I'm not sure what to make of that.

http://cap-acp.org/publicFiles/Pathology_Vol3-1%20final.pdf

There was an article in the CAP journal that shows that the supply of pathologists has not grown nearly as fast as other medical specialties, and that the population: pathologist ratio actually has gone down since 1998. I'm not sure what to make of that.

http://cap-acp.org/publicFiles/Pathology_Vol3-1%20final.pdf

Hmmm interesting - has there been any advances to make pathologists more efficient during that time? (I mean that would be the obvious risk in just looking at raw numbers, the effective number of cardiac surgeons I bet is also going down :) ) Digital slides? Electronic retrieval systems? Some sort of automation for some part of their work area?

You we really don't cover a path year - I don't really know the full work flow in a day of a pathologist.

Archived