Premed 101 Forums

Do you know anyone with 40+?

GunnersGunnaGun

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll aim to hit 14 14 14 this summer and maybe +1 somewhere to beat out you smart fellas. Cheers~

-GGG

Just be careful you aren't sacrificing all the other things you need to have for that score. You could end up hurting yourself more than helping.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll aim to hit 14 14 14 this summer and maybe +1 somewhere to beat out you smart fellas. Cheers~

-GGG

Come back here and report the results for us this summer. Although that would of course imply that you somehow left us between now and when you receive your test results, which seems very unlikely given the sheer volume of your posts.

-GGG

I'm all for setting the bar high for myself, but to be honest I wouldn't put much pressure on yourself to get a score that high. The only real "good" it would do for you here in Canada is give you bragging rights.. but even then no one talks about the mcat in medical school. Try to get the best score that you can, but honestly anything over 35-36 probably doesn't offer much advantage for the majority of canadian schools. Of course, if your goal is to do meds in the US that's a different story. It is but one part of the application package, and it is important that you make sure that the other parts are strong as well! :)

Good luck though, hope you get your 45t!

Several people I have met through friends.

Really?...The number of people who get 43 or higher each year is just about small enough to count on both hands, and that's counting anyone who took the MCAT anywhere. I find it unlikely for a given premed to know more than one person with 43+, much less several.

It's called networking ;). I wouldn't have known the people had I actually searched for them (on SDN, real life friends (really.) etc.). You'd be amazed at how small the world actually is.

You care about the MCAT way too much, with real exposure you'd have realized that the most professionally successful physicians (e.g. at MGH) get where they are through landing prestigious research positions, not by blowing all their time on the MCAT when a 36+ will do. :rolleyes:

Well, I came close: 39R, but then again I only have 6 days to study so I can't complain.

...have a friend who got 40T and another who got 42S.

You were also teaching courses with similar content to the MCAT though, weren't you? It's still an amazing score, especially for the time invested! At least you freed up the rest of the summer to do whatever you wanted :)

PS. You have a smart group of friends

You were also teaching courses with similar content to the MCAT though, weren't you? It's still an amazing score, especially for the time invested! At least you freed up the rest of the summer to do whatever you wanted :)

PS. You have a smart group of friends

Yes, only at the high school level for the most part, but still helpful. As for freeing up the rest of my summer, I was working two jobs: 1 full-time (lab manager) and the other part-time (aforementioned teaching at private school). I would exactly call that 'freed-up'', as it was merely a matter of necessity that I study in such a short period, but it was nice not to have to devote so much time. I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway.

So you actually prepared for a couple of years in a way then I guess. It's hard to believe the people who said oh I got 35 on MCAT only studying 1 or 2 weeks before the exam. In reality they've been studying MCAT for the past 1 or 2 years.

Well really I do not care. I'm just a really good crammer. ;)

So you actually prepared for a couple of years in a way then I guess. It's hard to believe the people who said oh I got 35 on MCAT only studying 1 or 2 weeks before the exam. In reality they've been studying MCAT for the past 1 or 2 years.

I think the same as well,

-group of 5 pre-med friend for last 2-3 years, got siblings in med, family friends etc.

-having taken a course the summer before.

-being mentally prepared since sept of first year

-free advice for those who aced the test, I have met like 2 people from this board.

-following all the posts in mcat section on pm101 for 9 months prior to exam.

I mean nobody treats mcat like their cell biology midterm.

but doesnt all this increase their anxiety/stress? I did for me, had 2 f**** dreams for this stupid exam.

I think the same as well,

-group of 5 pre-med friend for last 2-3 years, got siblings in med, family friends etc.

-having taken a course the summer before.

-being mentally prepared since sept of first year

-free advice for those who aced the test, I have met like 2 people from this board.

-following all the posts in mcat section on pm101 for 9 months prior to exam.

I mean nobody treats mcat like their cell biology midterm.

but doesnt all this increase their anxiety/stress? I did for me, had 2 f**** dreams for this stupid exam.

lol i think vincent lam said in the end notes of bloodletting that the krebs cycle occasionally makes appearances in pre-meds' dreams. has anyone had stuff like that happen? LOL. "oh hey oxaloacetate. how ya doin??"

lol i think vincent lam said in the end notes of bloodletting that the krebs cycle occasionally makes appearances in pre-meds' dreams. has anyone had stuff like that happen? LOL. "oh hey oxaloacetate. how ya doin??"

I'd rather flirt with NAD+/NADH, the most promiscuous molecule involved in the pathway

I'd rather flirt with NAD+/NADH, the most promiscuous molecule involved in the pathway

lol somehow remembered reading this post. probably because it's hilarious. see bolded, below.

That would be the MAP pathway from Cell Bio. If you wanted to get really fancy you branch off from the NF-kB portion of it, which interfaces with p53 (the whore of the genome) and really makes things interesting.

yea 6 days to prep for the mcat to come out with a great score sounds highly unrealistic. To skim through all the science sections in one day is impossible, regardless if you took all your science prereqs beforehand because who really remembers orgo reactions for fun or more advanced topics in physics. And I don't think you defended your high school teaching but that would literally help with almost nothing on the MCAT unless you would be teaching high school students MCAT material, which you wouldn't besides the basics like the structure of the cell and kinematics. Also, even if you could somehow skim through all the sciences in one day (Where you would literally be turning a page every 5 seconds so how you remembered anything is beyond me), to "get" verbal in 5 days by just going straight into practice tests is not believable at all. But hey, haters gonna hate right. By the way, in the SDN, someone posted that they got a 15/15/15 on the January MCAT....................

Archived