Premed 101 Forums

How do program transfers work anyways?

Arrowx7

Hi there.

I was wondering if you apply for residency, do the R1 year, but then want to switch specialties. Can you re-enter carms and apply to 2nd iteration programs??

I know there is a way where you can transfer into a different specialty at your school (if funding available) and they MAKE extra spot for you?

Does anyone know if these are TWO separate options? or is this really one option? how does it work?

Hi there.

I was wondering if you apply for residency, do the R1 year, but then want to switch specialties. Can you re-enter carms and apply to 2nd iteration programs??

I know there is a way where you can transfer into a different specialty at your school (if funding available) and they MAKE extra spot for you?

Does anyone know if these are TWO separate options? or is this really one option? how does it work?

as I understand it you cannot reenter carms as you are under contract to finish the specialty you agreed to. Internal transfers are possible if they let you move and there is space (making a spot sounds a bit too strong to me - just because you bring funding to the table doesn't mean it can easily be moved around - they hired you to the original spot for a reason).

Our student affairs director said these sorts of transfers are getting harder to do - that is just one person's statement though so it would be nice for some confirmation.

Hi there.

You do not re-apply to CaRMS.

You need to have the permission of both your program as well as the accepting program. Your program is not going to be happy being short a resident (your program needs the service, and you'd be dumping your call schedule on the other residents). The accepting program has to have room for you (i.e. space in their rotations, teaching, etc.)

Then you must have enough funding (i.e. family medicine to gen surg is not likely an option as you would be missing 3 years of funding).

Funding is usually done through the province, so inter-province transfers are extremely difficult unless you find someone from that province looking to transfer to your province. Then you guys can be traded.

Funding is usually done through the province, so inter-province transfers are extremely difficult unless you find someone from that province looking to transfer to your province. Then you guys can be traded.

again assuming they agree to the trade - they may not.

Bottom line I think is that transfers are tricky, and really shouldn't factor into any particular matching strategy.

On some level this is too bad - I really can imagine people just coming to the conclusion what they though was a good field for them really isn't at all. That sounds like a nightmare.

Are you sure you can just "apply" to the 2nd iteration carms?

I thought you can only do 2nd iteration if

1. you go unmatched in 1st iteration

2. You do not rank 1st iteration

3. IMG

Can anyone just apply to it and re-match even half-way through your residency?

Can graduated physicians still apply to carms 2nd iteration?

Archived