Premed 101 Forums

UofT/UWO Dent

Guest Jixe

Asking these questions on behalf of a friend of mine (I'm a pre-med for life, and then med :) ).

These are her questions and she's going into her 2nd year of BMSc at UWO and wants to apply to UofT/UWO dent:

"1. do they look at your "pre-req GPA" or just your overall GPA for each year?

2. If you didn't do too well on a pre-req, but your overall for each year is very good, does it even matter?

3. how long can you defer admission to UWO & UofT?

4. is it okay to write the DAT this upcoming November and apply before the December deadline?

5. is there any drawback of being a 2nd year applicant?"

Guest twistedbrain

I can reply at least one of the quesiton, for the other fellows correct me if i'm wrong.

4. yes, in fact, I wrote the DAT on Novemeber and apply to dental school in december of the same year and got interview plus accepted.

5. as far as I know, UWO have no problem with that, I have a friend in 2nd year entering dentistry at western this year. as for UofT, I think you need at least three years in order to apply.

I think I can answer most of the Q's

first of all, guinea pig for the new program at UWO.

1/2. I believe they look at both pre-req and overall GPA, as long as the pre-reqs are not horrible under 75. It should be fine. UWO look at the final year leading up to admission GPA and your best GPA year (if only 2 years, well all the GPA counts), as for UT at least 3 years of GPA, if more than 3, the worst can be dropped (unless they changed that)

3. don't know about UT, UWO only allows deferring under exceptional circumstances, almost never.

4. Yes you can

5. No draw back for UWO. UT i think needs 3 yrs

Archived