Premed 101 Forums

How does this make sense?

I really like rads, but was bummed when everyone says don't even try it is hard to get into and there will be no jobs because they will replace them through outsourcing and may start decreasing residency programs, so I had basically crossed it off my list then this? Apparently it will be the most needed profession in Ontario in years to come. Can someone explain all of this to me?

https://www.healthforceontario.ca/UserFiles/file/PolicymakersResearchers/needs-based-model-report-oct-2010-en.pdf

Radiology goes through phases, like any other subspecialty. so do what you are going to enjoy doing for the next 20-30 years. It is hard to get in but why not the next person be you. just do well on your clinical rotation, do some research and radiology elective.. you will be all set to go

People talk a lot about teleradiology - it could happen I guess but the issues is that we have a lot of rules about only a licensed doctor doing anything like this, and the CMA etc aren't going to sit by if that is threatened (whose next is the first question that would pop up).

ha - I would imagine quite a few Canadian trained radiologists won't mind moving overseas to do the night float call.

You heard from misinformed people. Rads is moderately competitive, but it is still very possible to get interviews if you play your cards right, are reasonably intelligent, and are generally likeable. If I can get interviews, anyone can.

Jobs have tightened up but they still exist. You just can't be as selective with location. You're also confusing the demand for imaging with funding from the government. They're separate. You can have a huge demand for radiologists while there are fewer positions open due to limited funding from the government.

There is a theoretical risk for jobs lost to outsourcing but it is very low in my opinion. Right now you have to be a Canada-trained radiologist to bill the Canadian government. Currently it is quite a process for foreign radiologists to become licences in Canada and I'll be damned if Canada suddenly allows foreigners to interpret and bill for Canadian studies outright. I have also observed a trend toward more interpersonal and interdisciplinary practices among radiologists, where they are calling clinicians more often and hosting interdisciplinary rounds involving several clinicians and their interesting cases. All of these factors help to strengthen the perceived value of the local radiologist. We all know their real value is high ;)

well given that how the Ontario government went after radiologists, it would make sense to hide the report judiciously!!

You would think that report would be all over the place - I mean it is a 2010 joint report from the OMA and government (both sides as it were) but surprisingly it gets little "press".

Archived