Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

It's callled burnout and is perfectly understandable. At the end of every academic year in undergrad, this happened to me - and I was not carrying the load that you carry in your many roles.

Birdy, I have confidence you will recharge your batteries. :P I did. You are multi-tasking in a marathon. Rest and then, carry on. :)

f_d

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no motivation to do anything whatsoever.

Should be studying for the MCAT since the kids are occupied but....

You'll retain more when you are actually motivated. A bit of break at the end of the semester is healthy. :)

Today is going to go by SO slowly - my first two course marks will be released tomorrow (they are no longer showing under my "current courses" which means their marks have been submitted, and tomorrow is the first day that registrar posts final marks for this past semester, so those two will be up there).

Planning on going for a run this afternoon, after it has warmed up a bit.

How did you deal with your burn outs? I worked so hard for my first 2 exams and they went great, but now I'm slacking a bit...

Good Morning.

I always kept me eye on the goal - med school. This kept me motivated, and if I felt like slacking, I dismissed the feeling and maintained my enthusiasm as I wanted that prize so badly.

f_d

My mother sent me the money to buy a set of MCAT books as a present and I'm sitting here with both the EK set and the brand new Kaplan set in my cart at Indigo.ca and I can't decide which one. They are both 34% off this week so I want to buy one now but I can't decide and I don't have enough to get both.

I hate being indecisive like this!

My mother sent me the money to buy a set of MCAT books as a present and I'm sitting here with both the EK set and the brand new Kaplan set in my cart at Indigo.ca and I can't decide which one. They are both 34% off this week so I want to buy one now but I can't decide and I don't have enough to get both.

I hate being indecisive like this!

I personally prefer examkrackers..but thats just a personal opinion :). I have pretty much every single MCAT related book that Examkrackers has released..love them all! Especially the 1001 questions ones.

Thing is I haven't taken organic chemistry yet, and I have read that Kaplan is more detailed.

I'm also not one for cutesy stuff, so that kind of thing doesn't appeal to me. The Kaplan looks more polished.

I'm seriously thinking of buying both, flipping through them, and returning the one I don't like since I don't have anyone local who can lend me the books for an afternoon.

Blah. Money to spend and I'm afraid to spend it.

Checked Indigo and a couple used book stores (not much selection) and only found one copy of the general Kaplan book, not the set.

Uni didn't have any, and our public library is... pitiful.

I did find a used set of the EK books for cheap, so I bought the Kaplan since people have said it is more in depth, which I may need for the classes I haven't taken.

Also got the book of Kaplan practice exams and a set of flash cards. All 34% off, so most of them are cheaper than used.

I personally prefer examkrackers..but thats just a personal opinion :). I have pretty much every single MCAT related book that Examkrackers has released..love them all! Especially the 1001 questions ones.

I agree, I self-studied and found EK the best, PR was pretty good but I would put Kaplan at the bottom of the list for me personally. All 3 were good to have for the questions and different bits of information they provided. I tried to use only 1 book at first then I broke down and ordered the others before my second writing, better late than never. I wish I had of had all 3 books earlier (or at least PR and EK), I underestimated.

Thing is I haven't taken organic chemistry yet, and I have read that Kaplan is more detailed.

I'm also not one for cutesy stuff, so that kind of thing doesn't appeal to me. The Kaplan looks more polished.

I'm seriously thinking of buying both, flipping through them, and returning the one I don't like since I don't have anyone local who can lend me the books for an afternoon.

Blah. Money to spend and I'm afraid to spend it.

lol sorry but no. Speaking from experience.. EK was recommended to me by just about every medical doctor that works in my hospital back when I was looking at MCAT books (I still re-read my EK MCAT books as they are a great foundation of knowledge).

I am quite familiar with Kaplan and they are notorious for providing you information that you do not need on the MCAT. Also, I don't think Kaplan has ever been recommended to me..I know a lot of people who had to redo their MCATs because their "Polished Kaplan Books" focused on matters that were not on the test (Look online, I am sure you will find more than a few that have had similar experiences). EK has one of the best (if not the best) VR books and preps you very well for the test.

3346owo.jpg

Archived