Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes I feel like I'd have a lot to bring to med and I'm very motivated. But, as of this year, I've been "stressing" and worrying over things a lot more and I feel like this is not good to have as a potential future doctor. Hopefully it's only a first year thing... (of undergrad)

/end rant

one day at a time. wow ur in first yr.

Morning!

Stats exam day. Really not worried because it's all so logical. I have the second highest mark in the class, so I do have a personal goal of 100% on the final just so I can beat that one person who has a higher mark than me...

Morning!

Stats exam day. Really not worried because it's all so logical. I have the second highest mark in the class, so I do have a personal goal of 100% on the final just so I can beat that one person who has a higher mark than me...

Good luck! :)

I ended up with 99% in my stats course last year. I'm convinced it's because the prof didn't want to give a 100. ;)

Just back from my second exam. It went well, but like the one yesterday was very long. Otherwise, no problems. A few tricky questions, but that's to be expected. Now I'm going to relax for the rest of the day, before I do some more studying for my last two exams, which will be on Wednesday and Thursday.

Good luck! :)

I ended up with 99% in my stats course last year. I'm convinced it's because the prof didn't want to give a 100. ;)

Just back from my second exam. It went well, but like the one yesterday was very long. Otherwise, no problems. A few tricky questions, but that's to be expected. Now I'm going to relax for the rest of the day, before I do some more studying for my last two exams, which will be on Wednesday and Thursday.

You could have asked for a remark. :rolleyes:

Looks like you have things under control. Studying when tired is counterproductive as inefficient and not absorbing the material. Enjoy the day. :)

Sometimes I feel like I'd have a lot to bring to med and I'm very motivated. But, as of this year, I've been "stressing" and worrying over things a lot more and I feel like this is not good to have as a potential future doctor. Hopefully it's only a first year thing... (of undergrad)

/end rant

Matti,

This is a marathon and not a sprint. Prioritizing, time and stress management are very important, as is keeping up and donig well academically. You need to develop the skills to keep stress under control, be it through physical exercise or activities or not letting the stress get to you. Just focus on what is in front of you, work on it and do well. It is very important to stay motivated when you are down and not to let yourself become depressed over things that affect you. In other words, stay on an even keel. I know - easier said than done. Every academic year ending, I was beyond burnout. However, I maintained a strong work ethic always and did not allow any distractions. And having a strong work ethic is very important for med school. Also, I developed the skills to be an independent self-learner in undergrad which is very helpful now too.

Yeah, I knew what I wanted since grade 11. Been volunteering and working (and now research) since then haha, I just hope the stress goes away, it would suck to get into med and realize that you get stressed at every single thing.

Learn some stress management techniques that work for you. Being able to get rid of the stress will help a LOT with how you manage things. I had an exam this afternoon but instead of studying this morning, I went for a jog with my dog because I could (my parents had my kids.) Going into midterms, labs, exams, etc. relaxed helps you do better, or at least feel better. :)

Good luck with everything.

Learn some stress management techniques that work for you. Being able to get rid of the stress will help a LOT with how you manage things. I had an exam this afternoon but instead of studying this morning, I went for a jog with my dog because I could (my parents had my kids.) Going into midterms, labs, exams, etc. relaxed helps you do better, or at least feel better. :)

+1000000. People think I'm crazy that I continue to exercise during exams, I make sure I get a lot of sleep, etc., but I perform SO much better when I am well rested and when I exercise every day. It also helps that I study all semester long, so I don't need to cram everything in at the last minute, I just need to review my notes, do some practice problems, or try to commit the last few things that just won't stick to memory.

After my exam this morning, I took today as a 'break day' because I've been studying steadily since classes ended last Friday (the 5th) and taking some time to "recharge my batteries" will mean I'm much more effective when I start studying again tomorrow, than if I had forced myself to study today.

Good morning.

Taking a break from studying for my final two exams. Feeling a "good sore" from the nice, long run I did yesterday. Nice to finally have some spring weather here.

Hoping to hear back from some organizations about various opportunities this summer. I've a research job lined up for after exams (and I should get second author on a publication out of it) but I'm hoping to hear back from some Registered Dietitians about volunteering with them (to help with my backup plan).

I've also discovered a whole bunch of very cool Masters programs that line up with my interests in health promotion and community health, so I'm thinking that if I don't get into med this year, I'll just complete my dietetics degree, get my RD, and then complete an MPH or a Masters in health promotion. The Master of Health Evaluation program at Waterloo is also looking like a great option if I become an RD and start practising in community nutrition.

Okay, time to get back to studying. Good luck to everyone who has exams!

Archived