Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

We will see what she will say if you get into med school. ;)

hate my sister in highschool (brb bf here all the time, brb getting my rents to do stuff for her bf, brb acting like an entitled *****)

"you can't talk about that while i am eating...i am not eating anymore"

"urgh nothing to eat in this house can we go out to eat"

"michael kors bag, OMG! guess watch, OMG!"

"need a prom dress urgh"

"you can't scoop that I am taking a picture of it....you just ruined my photo"

"that girl is so ugly"

note to ciel: if you were in my situation you would wish you were alone, rather than have my sister around. she is the worst.

she points out all my flaws if i dont already see it

-i can't write my own music, i can only do covers

-I dont have 6 pack abs

-i am not a good singer/rapper (yes i try)

-hates on me cause she overheard me saying I took a few bird courses

-discredits any of my achievements (e.g grades not good cause i take bird courses, or had a friend help me study)

-can't find a girlfriend

I am not going to hang out with my family anymore if my sister's bf is there.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And they are destined for a high-paying job while we (atleast most of us here) are wasting our time throught undergrad learn useless stuff which may not help us find a job (unless you major in something like Engineering)

Well, there are lots of undergraduate programs that can lead to a good-paying job, besides engineering. I'm amazed that more students don't take advantage of them.

At Guelph, almost all of the Food Science graduates have jobs before they graduate. Applied Human Nutrition students who manage to secure an internship will have a lot of opportunities as registered dietitians. Even kinesiology or human kinetics students have a lot of job possibilities, especially in Ontario as "kinesiologist" is now a regulated profession in Ontario.

Computer science grads also have pretty good job opportunities, as do students in hospitality and tourism studies.

I admit that most students who decide to study life sciences, health sciences, or medical sciences are studying subjects that don't offer a lot of job possibilities right out of undergrad. But as we all know, you don't need to focus on those areas in undergrad - medical schools don't care what you study.

Went to pick up my MCAT books at the post office and the lady commented on how heavy my parcel was so I told her what's in it. Turns out her daughter is a third year chem major who is writing her MCAT in June.

I suggested she point her daughter to this site. Wonder if she'll show up. :)

Well, there are lots of undergraduate programs that can lead to a good-paying job, besides engineering. I'm amazed that more students don't take advantage of them.

At Guelph, almost all of the Food Science graduates have jobs before they graduate. Applied Human Nutrition students who manage to secure an internship will have a lot of opportunities as registered dietitians. Even kinesiology or human kinetics students have a lot of job possibilities, especially in Ontario as "kinesiologist" is now a regulated profession in Ontario.

Computer science grads also have pretty good job opportunities, as do students in hospitality and tourism studies.

I admit that most students who decide to study life sciences, health sciences, or medical sciences are studying subjects that don't offer a lot of job possibilities right out of undergrad. But as we all know, you don't need to focus on those areas in undergrad - medical schools don't care what you study.

Now, lets not be too discouraging. There are still plenty of jobs for all of those careers, you just need to have the right marks and personality to obtain them. As well, taking those courses are most definitely beneficial in Medical School, especially when taking the MCAT.

Now, lets not be too discouraging. There are still plenty of jobs for all of those careers, you just need to have the right marks and personality to obtain them. As well, taking those courses are most definitely beneficial in Medical School, especially when taking the MCAT.

I said a life science degree doesn't offer a *lot* of possibilities straight out of undergrad (and it doesn't), but yes, there are some people who will find employment with just their undergraduate degree. Especially if they have work experience in a particular field, have connections, etc. There are plenty of people who graduate with biology degrees, however, who find they have difficulty finding a job. There are several of them doing second degrees in my program (nutrition/dietetics) because they found that their generic biology degree didn't offer them a lot of possibilities.

As for the MCAT, the courses you take in nutrition, food science, and biomedical/biological engineering definitely cover what is tested (and beyond).

Also, my degree in nutrition/dietetics is providing me with real, practical skills that can be used when dealing with patients. We learn about the determinants of health, theories of behaviour change, communication and counselling skills, even about medical charting and note-taking!

Not all life science degrees will cover those types of subjects, which will also be incredibly useful in medical school. I've yet to see a life science, health science, or medical science program that included a compulsory communication and counselling skills course, yet those kinds of skills will be essential for many physicians (not as necessary for the more "hands off" specialties, but still required during clerkship).

My nutrition degree also had required psychology and sociology courses, two subjects that will be on the new MCAT starting in 2015. Few life science programs will have those as compulsory courses. And if you say that life science students can just take them as electives, well students in other degree programs can do the same for the other topics that will be on the MCAT.

I am a regular poster posting under a different username to protect my identity a little more.

I find myself with only 2 weeks to go- and I find myself so, so scared. This is funny though, because I;m not afraid of getting rejected, for some reason I'm afraid of getting accepted. I've been trying for years for this, and my life is really awesome right now, I;m in a wonderful relationship, and if I get accepted I have to move and possibly lose all the relationships I've built. Maybe even the love of my life.

I've cried a few times because I just can't even believe I feel this way, but maybe it's because it's so real now, that I might actually have to leave and move and be in medicine. I want it, but I worry the toll it will take on my heart. I'm so scared.

I also think it might just be the anxiety playing out in a different way. Maybe I really am worried about the acceptance date, but it's transforming itself into anxiety about my relationship.

Life will change so much if/when I am accepted. I've wanted this for so long. But I'm still really scared. And I really don't want to leave home. I finally found a place I feel at home, and I probably haven't felt this way since I was 10 or so. :(

I said a life science degree doesn't offer a *lot* of possibilities straight out of undergrad (and it doesn't), but yes, there are some people who will find employment with just their undergraduate degree. Especially if they have work experience in a particular field, have connections, etc. There are plenty of people who graduate with biology degrees, however, who find they have difficulty finding a job. There are several of them doing second degrees in my program (nutrition/dietetics) because they found that their generic biology degree didn't offer them a lot of possibilities.

As for the MCAT, the courses you take in nutrition, food science, and biomedical/biological engineering definitely cover what is tested (and beyond).

Also, my degree in nutrition/dietetics is providing me with real, practical skills that can be used when dealing with patients. We learn about the determinants of health, theories of behaviour change, communication and counselling skills, even about medical charting and note-taking!

Not all life science degrees will cover those types of subjects, which will also be incredibly useful in medical school. I've yet to see a life science, health science, or medical science program that included a compulsory communication and counselling skills course, yet those kinds of skills will be essential for many physicians (not as necessary for the more "hands off" specialties, but still required during clerkship).

My nutrition degree also had required psychology and sociology courses, two subjects that will be on the new MCAT starting in 2015. Few life science programs will have those as compulsory courses. And if you say that life science students can just take them as electives, well students in other degree programs can do the same for the other topics that will be on the MCAT.

I'm curious, NutritionRunner, but do you already have your degree in nutrition/dietetics or are you currently in the process?

I'm curious, NutritionRunner, but do you already have your degree in nutrition/dietetics or are you currently in the process?

If I don't get into medical school this year, I will need to complete two more required courses in order to qualify for a dietetic internship (required to become a registered dietitian). So I am in the process, but I have completed the bulk of the required courses (I only have the second clinical nutrition course and the foodservice management course left to complete).

Spent all morning on the phone with my work's compensation and different insurance companies trying to get my stupid claims sorted out for my new retainer (yes, I am returning to my 14 year old self - my bottom teeth have crowded again). I hate being treated like an idiot when I KNOW I'm not the one that made a mistake. Specifically, if you don't give me the correct policy numbers, or even the right insurance company, of course I'm going to hound you until you do your job properly.

Frustrations of adult life.

currently looking at groupon to hire a maid for a day, to help me unpack.

edit:

found a cleaner. just trying to get things inorder at my place before i start work. also was going to get a tv wall mount in my room but damn, i will have to purchase an extra long power cable, and an extra long hdmi cable since i would like to hide the cable behind my wall, and my current cables aren't long enough, first world probs.

edit:

decided not to get a cleaner, staying up tonight to unpack. so many articles of clothing to fold...mind blown at how long some clothes have lasted me over the yrs. Jeans I usually replace in about a yrs time, but athletic shorts they seem to last forever.

^ I rather have my enemies do my yard work. cut lawn+air rate

Just went shopping today, as I said before I am getting ready before i lose myself to mcat and work. So many good deals at costco, even appliances. i think their strategy is to just carry one or two quality product people need and sell alot of those rather than walmart carrying 5 diff fans costco would carry only one.

Yes I got a fan from costco and I am really liking it. super quiet.

edit: would really like some taco bell at 12am, too bad only mcdonalds are 24hrs

-would also like for shipping to be faster when ordering stuff overseas

Archived