Premed 101 Forums

math pre-req for UBC

Guest flowers

Guest flowers

just wondering if both of the math pre-reqs HAVE to be calculus. you see, i've taken one calculus and one linear algebra course - both at the uofa. I noticed that the pre-reqs for linear algebra (math 22?) at UBC were calculus courses.

I really hope it doesn't have to be two calculus courses!

thanks

Guest bcdentalgirl

Give them a call to confirm, but my guess is that if that's what it says on the site, that's what it is. UBC isn't renowned for bending the rules.

If you've already taken differential calculus, you shouldn't find integral too hard - it's actually a bit easier (in my opinion).

Guest apical meristems

Hey flowers,

I had the same question a while ago and I phoned the admissions office. They said that any math would work as long as it was titled "math". Then again, the person talking kind of sounded a little insecure. I'm not exactly sure what the real answer is. I agree with bcdentalgirl though; call the office and see what they say.

I see you are attending the U of A. Me too! Are you filling out an application for the 2005 round? I believe they are releasing the application form this week? I'm really excited.

Nevertheless, I've been going through this endless cycle of whether or not I think my application will be successful. I hate the feeling. How are you feeling? How are your stats, if you don't mind me asking. I am heading into the year with a 3.85 pre-req, 3.8 overall and 20.3 overall DAT. I'm opting to write the DAT again this November, even though I hate the damn thing. Oh well.

Good luck to you. I was going to apply to UBC until I saw the math requirements. Awful. I've made it through four years of undergrad without taking a single math class (except for stats and computer science).

Later,

apical

Guest flowers

thanks for the advice! the admissions officer won't be back til tomorrow so i'll have to wait on an answer. i hope it's any math course, but after looking at all the descriptions of the math courses suggested on the website i have my doubts (since they are all calculus courses).

i have never written the DAT before (but i've written the MCAT) and i feel nervous about the carving part. apical meristems, do you know of any good tutors for the carving section? i'm willing to pay big bucks if someone can help me ace that section! meristems - your gpa is way higher than mine and i think you'll totally get in wherever you apply! so the applications should be up soon here? i can't wait to start either!

anyway, i'll post the answer from teh ubc admin office once i get it.

by the way: what are the pre-reqs for mcgill dent? i've been trying to download them and for some reason it doesn't work.

Guest apical meristems

Hey flowers,

I might be able to help you. I was tutored by this fab third year dental student last time and he really helped my pull up my carving score. I don't think he's tutoring this year; too much clinic stuff, but I could totally pass on his words of advice if you're interested.

Are you on campus during the week? I work for the Students' Union, so maybe we could meet.

Cheers,

apical ;)

Guest flowers

Hey everyone! Just talked to the admins office and they said (with confidence) that any math course is acceptable! what a sigh of relief!

Archived