Premed 101 Forums

Outstanding Performance

Hello! I have a question for everyone: when it comes to residency program selection, does it matter if you don't have an "outstanding performance" for your clerkship rotations?

I am not sure how they do it at other schools, but my med school puts all the good comments received on our MSPRs and then just P/F, and no marks. So it makes me wonder how schools gauge your performance in clerkship. There is just so much variability in preceptors, and sometimes you just get stuck with a crummy preceptor who thinks you're useless, whereas some of your colleagues will have way better preceptors.

Also, if I am say applying to a surgical specailty, will residencies care how I perform in internal or peds, etc?

Sorry if that was confusing!

Hello! I have a question for everyone: when it comes to residency program selection, does it matter if you don't have an "outstanding performance" for your clerkship rotations?

I am not sure how they do it at other schools, but my med school puts all the good comments received on our MSPRs and then just P/F, and no marks. So it makes me wonder how schools gauge your performance in clerkship. There is just so much variability in preceptors, and sometimes you just get stuck with a crummy preceptor who thinks you're useless, whereas some of your colleagues will have way better preceptors.

Also, if I am say applying to a surgical specailty, will residencies care how I perform in internal or peds, etc?

Sorry if that was confusing!

It is very hard for them to do so - which is why some are frustrated by it - and as you mention the evals are so variable, so hard to apply standards to that often they are useless anyway. The LORs now have much more importance I feel.

They will care by the way about your performance in other things to a point - each school is probably different in how much though. I wouldn't want negative comments for instance on my MSPR for internal in particular but most schools stop that anyway.

Not much you can do about how your school reports clerkship performance. Certainly, the more consistently positive your comments across rotations, and the more "outstanding" as opposed to "good" they are, the better. If you can manage to be nominated for an award, that also helps, but again this does not apply to all schools.,

Thanks for the reply!

By outstanding performance, I meant a nomination for an award. Do most clerks have at least 1 nomination during clerkship? Does not having a single nomination work against you if the rest of your evaluation in clerkship is good?

I'm don't think being nominated for clerkship awards is necessary. It's not very standardized between schools (ie. my school doesn't vote on clerkship awards until the end of 4th yr, after CaRMS). I think its mostly the quality of your reference letters and the comments on your MSPR that are important.

Archived