Premed 101 Forums

High yield public health resources for the LMCC

I studied the Toronto Notes as well as a couple chapters from the Shah book, and it was enough to do excellently on that section. I found a lot of people punted it altogether (devoting their time to studying other areas), but it really wasn't much of a time investment at all to do well on that section.

I studied the Toronto Notes as well as a couple chapters from the Shah book, and it was enough to do excellently on that section. I found a lot of people punted it altogether (devoting their time to studying other areas), but it really wasn't much of a time investment at all to do well on that section.

I just went over TNotes. It was enough. The Shah book is beyond horrible. You might as well read some sort of 400 page dry user manual. If you got enough time to read Shah I would suggest you spend more time celebrating being matched or something.

Read TNotes, it's all you need for all the high yield MCCQE topics.

That's stupid. It's a sixth of the entire exam. Easy marks that you can study for in a few hours.

Okay, the MCCQE exam is stupid. It is written horribly. But who cares as you will all pass it easily if you went to a Canadian medical school. I'm convinced this exam is just a money grab from the MCC...

The silly exam is 1/6 psych, 1/6 obs-gyne, 1/6 pediatrics, 1/6 ALL internal med, 1/6 ALL surgery, 1/6 public health/ethics

This means everything IM and surgery is mega low yield despite both being massive topics. So skim these ones...

Study peads, psych, obs-gyne like crazy. But don't go beyond the TNotes chapters in these areas. If you passed your core rotations then all you need is to review the TNotes chapters. Also review the TNotes chapters on public health and ethics.

Technically you should do just fine on the exam if this is all you decide to study.

If you want to kill the exam them pick up the USMLE Step 2 first aid book. Review the general surgery chapter from this and also look at the IM chapters: cardio, resp, GI, nephro, rhum, etc. These chapters are shorter and higher yield then TNotes. It is a waste of time going through TNotes for IM and surgery, the exam is just not written at that level of detail.

This exam is not hard. I put in 2-3 weeks full time studying. I skipped all the review lectures offered by UofT and did one practice exam online (this practice exam was a waste of time). I did fine and I'm no super genius.

Do the above and you are golden.

Okay, the MCCQE exam is stupid. It is written horribly. But who cares as you will all pass it easily if you went to a Canadian medical school. I'm convinced this exam is just a money grab from the MCC...

The silly exam is 1/6 psych, 1/6 obs-gyne, 1/6 pediatrics, 1/6 ALL internal med, 1/6 ALL surgery, 1/6 public health/ethics

This means everything IM and surgery is mega low yield despite both being massive topics. So skim these ones...

Steady peads, psych, obs-gyne like crazy. But don't go beyond the TNotes chapters in these areas. If you passed your core rotations then all you need is to review the TNotes chapters. Also review the TNotes chapters on public health and ethics.

Technically you should do just fine on the exam if this is all you decide to study.

If you want to kill the exam them pick up the USMLE Step 2 first aid book. Review the general surgery chapter from this and also look at the IM chapters: cardio, resp, GI, nephro, rhum, etc. These chapters are shorter and higher yield then TNotes. It is a waste of time going through TNotes for IM and surgery, the exam is just not written at that level of detail.

This exam is not hard. I put in 2-3 weeks full time studying. I skipped all the review lectures offered by UofT and did one practice exam online (this practice exam was a waste of time). I did fine and I'm no super genius.

Do the above and you are golden.

I second this. Super easy. Study T Notes as above. I also found looking over ACLS was very high yield. I had a bunch to ACLS type questions.

• 4 weeks later...

bloodalcsamples.png

So if the pt brought in by police refuses to give a blood alcohol sample, we can't act unless they obtain a warrant.

What if the pt is unconscious and the police asks for the results of the blood alcohol level that we took as part of trauma workup? We still need a warrant right?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived