Premed 101 Forums

CARMS Ranking from the program side

Oh ok so those spots that we see left over in first round are sometimes due to IMG spots not bring filled?

That's so dirty.. What if you're an IMG putting effort competing for one of those and you don't stand a chance

That is a interesting - I mean not all schools have IMG first round positions - the idea is if you do you can scoop up a high quality candidate in round one before things get diluted with everyone going for them I thought (?) - you lose that advantage a bit in round two.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh ok so those spots that we see left over in first round are sometimes due to IMG spots not bring filled?

That's so dirty.. What if you're an IMG putting effort competing for one of those and you don't stand a chance

Yeah it sucks.

It's hard to blame the programs. They are being forced to put them into CaRMS against their will by the govt/university even though the program doesn't have the capacity to take extra residents. The alternative of taking too many and ruining everyone's quality of education. That sucks too.

If they listened to the programs about capacity it wouldn't be an issue.

well Saudi`s gov`t gives the CDN gov`t a lot of $$$ to take their candidates. And as an IMG it sucks to falsely believe that the designated IMG spots are open to you when some programs purposely save them for 2nd round. It`s a brutal system, and yea we all knew that it was next to impossible to come back to Canada. But come on, things like that are unnecessary.

If your program has room for Saudis, it has room for CMGs.

The IMG spots in the Ontario first round are Provincially Funded, not foreign govt. funded.

The issue many times there is no room for extra residents, IMG or CMG.

Everyone loses if programs train 3 residents per year instead of 2 but the residents can't pass the Royal College because training was diluted.

I agree though that taking Saudi's over Canadians is BS.

well Saudi`s gov`t gives the CDN gov`t a lot of $$$ to take their candidates. And as an IMG it sucks to falsely believe that the designated IMG spots are open to you when some programs purposely save them for 2nd round. It`s a brutal system, and yea we all knew that it was next to impossible to come back to Canada. But come on, things like that are unnecessary.

Or those spots don't exist at all because the government and the universities refuse to listen to the people actually running the programs when they say there is no room for extra residents.

Both the Ottawa derm and uro positions look like they were for IMGs in round one. I suspect they had no intention of filling them. This is just my opinion.

The ENT one in Van, however, I cannot comment on.

Well they've had IMG spots in previous years no? Why intentionally keep them I filled now? I know some programs offer IMG spots in alternate years ( Ottawa does this for ENT).

Both the Ottawa derm and uro positions look like they were for IMGs in round one. I suspect they had no intention of filling them. This is just my opinion.

The ENT one in Van, however, I cannot comment on.

It seems the case for radiology and emerg at Manitoba too.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on how the programs make their rank list.

I matched in FM but slid really far on my list. I saw the unfilled position list up on carms and am really surprised at the number of programs whom I ranked higher on the list but have unfilled positions. One program has almost all of their spots unfilled.

So the question is, are programs that arrogant and rank only a select number of candidates? Am I just that undesirable as a candidate? I just don't understand what goes through their mind when they make their list...

At the most basic level the ranking process is black and white. The first thing a program does is determine if you fit. If you fit then you are ranked. If you don't then you are not. How many people don't fit and are not ranked is completely dependent on how the program decides to do things.

But if ones does not fit in, that generally means they would rather have an unmatched spot than that particular person in the program.

I think this "straight-forward" approach is more common for larger programs like FM, IM and psych. The smaller/"sweeter" the program, the more deviant tactics they choose ...

Now here's something fishy this year:

1. no CMGs were matched in NM in Ottawa/London/Winnipeg in the first iteration.

2. Neurology CMG Manitoba - only 1 matched out of 2 positions.

Are these spots fake, you think?

1. NM has horrible job prospects. I bet no CMGs applied.

2. Manitoba is cold and undesirable. Few CMGs applied.

1. Agreed. And yet, all 5 spots in Quebec were taken - striking difference, don't you think? If it's a matter of specifically poor Ontario/MB job outlook for NM, what prevents the graduates from going to QC after the residency then? Unless, the programs themselves feel constrained, and prefer not to take new residents this year.

2. Tell this to CMGs from SK/AB. I doubt if they all can match in their own province. Also, MB Psych got 8/9 CMGs matched in the first iteration, so not so "undesirable" after all...

Anyway, it's all speculations, the truth will come out when we see the unfilled positions list.

It's because in Quebec, radiologists don't interpret NM exams. There's a clear distinction between NM and radiology. That's not the case in the rest of Canada and the USA. In Quebec, NM have 100% control over their turf, that's why the spots are filled.

This is something I was completely unaware of, and the situation makes much more sense now. Thanks!

Also NM is capped in Qc (I don't know about the rest of Canda). The cap is at around 300k, and they all reach it. Still an amazing income for a 9-5 (or 9-3 even) job with virtually no call.

So what happens if I am a NM in Quebec and I hit the cap with 3 months left in the fiscal year? Do I have to keep working for free? Or do I pack it in and go on a 3 month vacation until the next fiscal year starts?

Or are they all salaried and the grid tops out at 300k?

So what happens if I am a NM in Quebec and I hit the cap with 3 months left in the fiscal year? Do I have to keep working for free? Or do I pack it in and go on a 3 month vacation until the next fiscal year starts?

Or are they all salaried and the grid tops out at 300k?

They're paid at 30% once they reach their cap IIRC.

You can then go on vacation or practice in another province. ;)

They're paid at 30% once they reach their cap IIRC.

You can then go on vacation or practice in another province. ;)

I don't see myself doing the same work for 30% pay. I guess I'd have huge vacation chunks every year.

Is it like that for every specialty?

Archived