Premed 101 Forums

Ophthalmology overhead?

Does anybody have any rough figures/estimates as to how much the typical overhead costs for an ophtho practice are?

It depends if you're completely private or subsidized, or a mix of both. Generally the figures for ophthalmology including its sub-specialties can be between 40-60% of gross billings. But it depends on a lot of factors such as the sub-speciality, location, etc.

didn't we have a thread on that just a bit ago? I thought it was relatively high (that equipment is not cheap) - something like 40%? do a search for overhead :)

I did try that and pulled out a thread with the bar graph and all the specialities. I was hoping I could hear firsthand from ophtho residents or their friends etc.for additional info.

when people say 40% of gross, what I dont understand is that shouldn't it be a certain fixed number? Or does overhead go up proportionally as your gross goes up? (added costs for the increased productivity?)

I did try that and pulled out a thread with the bar graph and all the specialities. I was hoping I could hear firsthand from ophtho residents or their friends etc.for additional info.

when people say 40% of gross, what I dont understand is that shouldn't it be a certain fixed number? Or does overhead go up proportionally as your gross goes up? (added costs for the increased productivity?)

hmm.. i wonder how much the laser machines cost

Sure it is an estimate based on cumulative average practise size/workload. You can do more of course but there are limits :)

Archived