Premed 101 Forums

Saskatchewan IM

Hey guys,

questions, how on earth did Saskatoon end up with 13 open IM spots?? And two more else where in the province. Is there something going on with the IM program in Saskatoon (derecognized, poor morale, etc) that this has happend. I'm asking because a good friend of mine is looking to apply and wanted to do all our due diligence asap. Thanks! :)

I don't know that anything has changed, though it is normal for there to be empty spaces (probably because it's a moderately large program at a smallish med school, i.e. twice as many spaces as MUN for the same number of graduating students).

Certainly everyone seemed really nice back when I interviewed there. Having said that, since they always end up filling spaces in the second round, there definitely ends up being more people in the program who didn't necessarily want to either be in Sask or do IM, and who were not successful for whatever reason in the first round. So I think there is something to be said for a lack of morale, but this is more my own supposition than any evidence to that effect.

All the same, I don't know why there were so many unfilled spaces. It's a big increase from last year.

Interestingly, at least one of the interview dates was with a -44 wind chill. Wonder how that affected things

Ottawa was pretty cold the day of their IM interview as well.

I understand Sask as a great IM program. I would imagine some are reluctant due to its location rather than its strength of the program.

Ottawa was pretty cold the day of their IM interview as well.

I understand Sask as a great IM program. I would imagine some are reluctant due to its location rather than its strength of the program.

where in general does Ottawa IM stand rank-wise? I understand UofT, Mac, Alb are high up

I interviewed for Saskatchewan IM program and it seemed awesome! The residents seem really happy, the program is very supportive and seems to take resident feedback really seriously e.g. they have a CTU in Regina that they were bringing someone down from UofT to see how they could optimize it. The match rates for the PGY3s are amazing (>95% to first choice) and they compensate their residents really well! I think location is the main deterrent but I got a really good vibe from the interview day.

where in general does Ottawa IM stand rank-wise? I understand UofT, Mac, Alb are high up

Personally I don't subscribe to the "rank" if you're talking about which programs are better. I think there are so many variables to consider, such as location (do you like big or small cities), opportunities (do you want to work in a cardiac center? more peripheral centers?), remuneration (is AB's contract best for you? can you accept QC's contract?), weather, other hobbies, any attachments to areas, size of program (do you want to be in a 54 person program or a 2 person program), etc.

I ranked Ottawa high for many reasons, both about its program and residents and also about the city and location. When you come around to carms (seems like you're in first year now) you should keep all these factors in mind. Does that help?

I interviewed at Sask and from personal experience, I ranked it 9th because of location primarily. It seemed like a good program with a decent match rate, however it doesn't have all the subspecialties of medicine for the purposes of the R4 match so that's a negative. The facilities were older (probably the worst I had seen come to think of it) which wasn't to their advantage. The residents were nice, but one of the two interviews was un-necessarily 'stressful' (well, they were trying to be stressful in a medical school interview kind of way, but that crap doesn't work as well when you interview for residency) and that was a turn-off for me. I don't get how a program who isn't in a position to push your buttons can think of getting away with that but who knows.

I'm a little curious about the ottawa IM program's "ranking" as well. Historically it seems like they have a tendency to keep a lot of their own students for IM residency. In comparison to mac, the program structure itself at ottawa seems quite similar, although i guess ottawa is a better city than hamilton.

Archived