Premed 101 Forums

UWO dental admission questions

Guest uoft2005

Guest uoft2005

Can someone please clarify me on the cut-off marks needed to apply to UWO dentistry.. The website indicates that the entering average was 85. BUT Is there a minimum mark and a minium DAT score to get an interview? (similar to UWO minimum med cut-off)

thx in advance

Hey, i'm not sure what the western cutoff is for sure but the saskatchewan cutoff this year was 82% (for interview, i heard this from somewhere) so it must be in the same area

Guest Kicoati

This is from UWO admissions:

-------------------------------------------------------

"Western Dentistry asks that applicants have at least 2 individual years at 80% or higher. That's approximately a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale, however, this may vary according to university. (We use the OMSAS - Ontario Medical School Application Service - to translate grades from outside

universities to Western standards.)

For the DAT, the minimum cumulative score that is usually required is 85/150 over the 5 sections of the test. The Reading Comprehension sectional score can be highlighted. 19/30 is a good score to shoot for. Minimums on the DAT can vary according to the quality of the applicant pool.

Approximately 200 applicants are interviewed for the 52 Canadian seats in the first year class. The international pool is separate from the Canadian pool.

Western's dentistry interview is offered to all who make the cut off in both academics and DAT."

I think the cut-offs varies a bit each year so in the end is determined as such that the top ~200 applicants will be interviewed.

Hope this helps.

Guest uoft2005

thx a lot kicoati.. awsome reply..

BUT.. if I have 1 year above 80 percent but have met the DAT marks do i get a conditional acceptance something like the UWO med? or do they want two years above 80 prior to application?

Guest per te

uoft2005,

You can be granted an interview based on having one year with an 80% average, based on an assumption that your current year will also meet that requirement. Since UWO offers acceptances after all final grades are known (end of June), there really aren't conditional acceptances based on that point.

~*per te*~

I am wondering how long the waitlist is to begin with as well- and does it include in province and out of province on the same waitlist?

No one has received phone calls from Western yet, have they?

Guest per te

The waitlist number at UWO is 52, the same number that is accepted. I believe last year the number of people that got accepted off the waitlist is less than half the number waiting, since I was waitlisted last year. I'm not sure how quick the movement is, but some people get accepted even around the time classes start and somebody apparently got accepted a few months into the program.... :)

~*per te*~

Guest per te

oh, and everybody's on the same waitlist... in-prov, oop, grad students etc since UWO does not give preference to ontarians.. except international students probably have their own thing. With grad/honours programs, there are bonus points given.

~*per te*~

Per te-

You seem to know a lot about Western... do you know how long the first round of acceptances has to reply to UWO with their answer and deposit?

Thanks!

Guest per te

Hey tm,

Well I go to Western and my roommate is dents so.. easy access to info, I guess :)

I believe last year people were given 2 weeks to send in their deposit of $1000.

~*per te*~

Guest toothy jr

you can pay the deposit, then forfeit it if something else comes along. In the scheme of things, $1000 ain't much to some people.

Archived