Premed 101 Forums

Would tbay see this a commitment or not?

I lived in Tbay for 2 years during my last years of highschool.

I left to do my degree in Ottawa, Iam finishing my 2nd year now with horrible marks.

I have the option to move to thunder bay and pursue nursing.

I know I will excel and have the opportunity to get involved with some amazing volunteer experience and research (thru connections).

Should I stop my degree and start a new one, they will see the wired two years of "what happened there" and an excellent degree from lakehead. OR finish the finance degree (in ottawa or Tbay) with an ok avg of 80-84-knowing i will probably have to come back for another degree or masters.

(I have asked this Q in the non-trad forum, but NOSM is the school I want to be in)

Thank you for your time

I don't think there's an issue in you switching programs, schools do not put a lot of stock into individual programs and switches its too subjective an assessment and people change plans all the time. That being said, if you wouldn't be okay with a career in nursing don't make the move. NOSM only has 64 spots, and there are lots of qualified applicants.

If NOSM is your goal you need to gain some context points by living in the North. IMO you're looking at atleast another 4 full time years to become competitive, although I defer to Real Beef on that.

Also some personal advice: make yourself a good candidate in general, don't limit yourself to just NOSM. It will take care of itself and all of the qualities carry over. If you do well you end up with lots of options instead of one.

I am in agreement that you will have to up your context score to become competitive to gain acceptance. It seems that even with the reduction to 320 interviewees there are still plenty of people with seemingly weaker context scores that have landed a coveted interview however when the acceptances get sent out you will want to maximize every facet of your application which includes context.

Having said that my understanding is that while you are attending full time studies in the North your context score does not increase as it would if you were working, living permanently in the North. Therefore although taking nursing at lake head would show an interest in the north it does not directly count towards context. My info may be a bit dated so I would appreciate anyone with more up to date info to chime in.

Definitely if you are competitive at other medical schools concurrently improve your application to them as well as the whole eggs in one basket usually doesn't work out though I got lucky:)

Good luck.

Beef

Archived