Premed 101 Forums

The 2013 Mac Support Group

Sorry trojjanhorse.

It can only get better though, right?

I was rejected post-interview from Dal and wait listed post-interview at McGill. I feel like it's an upward trend! Hopefully it means good things for the Ontario schools :)

I hope i'm not selfish for saying this but I'm kinda glad that I'm not the only one who is having doubts about my future at the moment. I took that rejection kinda hard. Can't wait for Tuesday and for this to be over already. I really hope you get off the waiting list bro.

LOL Same here since, in my case, rejection is likely (cGPA 3.53 + VR 11 + bombed MMI = low score based on Formula 2) :D Crossing my fingers for Queen's....

I hope you get Queen's bud. Don't give up hope!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
welcome to the club bud. What a terrible way to start this cycle off.

Agreed. There goes one less opportunity, with no concrete positives as of yet. Buuuut, it only takes one school to accept us and that one acceptance will negate any previous amount of rejections. So here's to hoping :P Good luck Calgary rejection club!

Agreed. There goes one less opportunity, with no concrete positives as of yet. Buuuut, it only takes one school to accept us and that one acceptance will negate any previous amount of rejections. So here's to hoping :P Good luck Calgary rejection club!

Damn right! At one of my interviews I was talking to a student who had applied to two schools and had been rejected by the other one. Said she was actually kinda glad - she realized afterwards that she really matched the personality of the school she got into a lot better than the one she didn't (and based on her personality, she was right).

I don't know why, but that idea - that, ultimately, you get into the school that's right for you - has really kept me going through this. Best of luck to everyone on Tuesday! I'll definitely be joining those who are drinking (in celebration or otherwise), and hopefully will be joining many of you on campus come the end of summer!

Damn right! At one of my interviews I was talking to a student who had applied to two schools and had been rejected by the other one. Said she was actually kinda glad - she realized afterwards that she really matched the personality of the school she got into a lot better than the one she didn't (and based on her personality, she was right).

I don't know why, but that idea - that, ultimately, you get into the school that's right for you - has really kept me going through this. Best of luck to everyone on Tuesday! I'll definitely be joining those who are drinking (in celebration or otherwise), and hopefully will be joining many of you on campus come the end of summer!

Wow! I really like that thought - that we'll get in where we'll fit in best. I had a friend who only applied to one school, and that's where he got in. Amazing. He knew that was the place he wanted to be, so he went for it!

I hope i'm not selfish for saying this but I'm kinda glad that I'm not the only one who is having doubts about my future at the moment. I took that rejection kinda hard. Can't wait for Tuesday and for this to be over already. I really hope you get off the waiting list bro.

You're not selfish at all!!! It sucks being rejected. But you're not in it alone! Here's hoping for Mac :) I hope you get in too!

I took the rejection pretty hard. I thought I owned that MMI. Actually, I ranked my interview performance: Mac > Calgary > Queens > Western. So yea it was devastating to learn that I screwed up. Now I don't even know if any of my interviews are good enough. I'm afraid that I won't get anything because one of my best interviews turned out horrible.

The worst part is since the interviews I've had a lot of stuff to do so the acceptances were not on my mind. I was happy doing work, going out at night and just generally relaxing. Then Wednesday evening came and that e-mail hit me pretty hard. Now I can't get anything done. I've missed work for a day, and I'm late replying to a stack of e-mails in my inbox (nothing big, but usually I would have responded). I can't get the thought out of my head - the thought that it's quite likely that I won't get any school after being relatively happy earlier that I had 4 interviews and that "I must get in somewhere".

If only Calgary had waited another week. Then I wouldn't have had those 6 sleepless nights between Wednesday and Tuesday.

So yea, you are not alone. Congratulations to those who got and will get accepted, and best of luck in whatever you do to those who get nothing this cycle. Life ain't easy, but you can't give up.

I took the rejection pretty hard. I thought I owned that MMI. Actually, I ranked my interview performance: Mac > Calgary > Queens > Western. So yea it was devastating to learn that I screwed up. Now I don't even know if any of my interviews are good enough. I'm afraid that I won't get anything because one of my best interviews turned out horrible.

The worst part is since the interviews I've had a lot of stuff to do so the acceptances were not on my mind. I was happy doing work, going out at night and just generally relaxing. Then Wednesday evening came and that e-mail hit me pretty hard. Now I can't get anything done. I've missed work for a day, and I'm late replying to a stack of e-mails in my inbox (nothing big, but usually I would have responded). I can't get the thought out of my head - the thought that it's quite likely that I won't get any school after being relatively happy earlier that I had 4 interviews and that "I must get in somewhere".

If only Calgary had waited another week. Then I wouldn't have had those 6 sleepless nights between Wednesday and Tuesday.

So yea, you are not alone. Congratulations to those who got and will get accepted, and best of luck in whatever you do to those who get nothing this cycle. Life ain't easy, but you can't give up.

I was rejected post interview at mcgill after what I thought was a good interview.

Truth is , you can't judge how you did on an interview because it is so incredibly subjective. I thought the abs sketch was random but the interview is way worse.

I feel for you. good luck with your backup and other offers.

I was chatting with one of the guys in first year at Queen's during my interview weekend, and he had the exact same experience. Thought Calgary was his best interview by far (and he was IP), and Queen's was one of his worst. So when he got a rejection from Calgary he was having the same major doubts about his other applications. But apparently he did a lot better on his Queen's interview than he though because that's where he was accepted! So I guess two points I'm trying to make: it's nearly impossible to fully determine you interview performance in hindsight, or even what kind of responses they're looking for on each question, and that you still do have a great shot at this point. Don't let one rejection get you down too much or make you doubt yourself! Good luck next week :)

I thought my Calgary interview went so bad, I had already written it off. Turns out it's really hard to say what they're looking for I guess.

Thanks guys (sobueno, shady, ralk, blindsight, m.math, teltric),

I feel a lot better now. Calgary was my very first interview experience but I left not knowing how i felt. I really appreciate you guys trying to lift the team spirit. I had a dream last night where I asked to see a Pt's from a nurse and I was told that I'm not a physician and I can't see the chart :( This is my first time having dreams about medicine lol.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you bunch are trying to be optimistic. Here's to waiting 4 dreadfully LONG days. I'll keep you guys in my prayers!

I took the rejection pretty hard. I thought I owned that MMI. Actually, I ranked my interview performance: Mac > Calgary > Queens > Western. So yea it was devastating to learn that I screwed up.

Hey man I thought Calgary was second best for me as well but you never know. I know I am not in the exact same boat as you (I have to keep waiting) but keep your hopes up, there is still plenty of news to come and you never know. Interviews are very subjective and as many of us can attest every school has different criteria for judging people. Also again as many people have noted every school has a different vibe or type of people you know (sure there are all kinds of ppls and what not but the vibe is unique) so you can never really know just from one result! Keep busy and try and keep doing what you are doing. That being said monday night, take a gravol or some benadryl...it will know you the F out so you can get some sleep ahaha

This is torture. I keep waking up in the night being disappointed that it isn't morning yet to cross off another "sleep". 4 sleeps to go.

On the (kinda?) plus side I've started to come to terms with the prospect of starting over again if that's where the cards lie (I think that might be a mixed metaphor). In the Mac interview in particular, I was really nervous and I didn't stick to my "game plan". I know I could do better if I had it to do over and so in a way, if I don't get in it's a chance to show what I'm really capable of.

Of course I would happily forego that chance in the event of an acceptance :).

I feel for those who got started on a bad note and then have to wait to hear the rest of the outcome. If anything, seeing that certain members who seem like such excellent candidates don't get in everywhere shows me that really great people get declined which means not getting in doesn't mean you wouldn't/couldn't be a great physician.

Here's hoping!!

Honestly I think the only reason people don't ultimately get into medical school is that they stop applying. If you don't get accepted this cycle, you'll use the next year to prepare yourself even better to be the awesome physician you'll eventually be. If you keep applying, every year you improve and you're bound to get in at some point.

I didn't get in last year and looking at my application I knew academics was my low point, so I did another year of school which won't affect this cycle, but I know that if I have to re-apply next year, I'll be that much better off.

Perseverance will take you far! So yea, for those of you who have had some rejections keep your chins up, if you want this you'll get it, it's just a matter of time.

From what I've seen on this forum, you all seem to be wonderful people who will make great doctors! For those who were rejected at Calgary, keep your chin up! There are still lots more decisions to come, and hopefully one or several acceptances. I have my fingers crossed for all of you!

Hang in there, just a few more days to go :)

Hey man I thought Calgary was second best for me as well but you never know. I know I am not in the exact same boat as you (I have to keep waiting) but keep your hopes up, there is still plenty of news to come and you never know. Interviews are very subjective and as many of us can attest every school has different criteria for judging people. Also again as many people have noted every school has a different vibe or type of people you know (sure there are all kinds of ppls and what not but the vibe is unique) so you can never really know just from one result! Keep busy and try and keep doing what you are doing. That being said monday night, take a gravol or some benadryl...it will know you the F out so you can get some sleep ahaha

I agree with that as well - I thought Calg went pretty well considering it was my first MMI. But looking at the IP acceptance stats and being waitlisted as OOP, I'm not really too surprised. I'd rather stay within the province.

I bought a bottle of tequila and some limes. On Tuesday, I'll be taking shots regardless on acceptance or rejection :)

I bought a bottle of tequila and some limes. On Tuesday, I'll be taking shots regardless on acceptance or rejection :)

This is exactly my plan. My best friend is coming over for some breakfast and we're going to have some tequila shots primed and ready for right after the news, whatever it is! Also don't forget the salt ;).

This is exactly my plan. My best friend is coming over for some breakfast and we're going to have some tequila shots primed and ready for right after the news, whatever it is! Also don't forget the salt ;).

Great plan. Sadly I have to work on Tuesday in the lab so I can't do the same. But my friends, wonderful people that they are, have cleared their schedules for Tuesday night so we can all get wasted either in commiseration or in celebration.

Archived