Premed 101 Forums

Those planning to attend McGill

Guest WK

Guest per te

Hey, for those that are looking for a place for the fall, did you try applying for graduate housing? I was waitlisted for awhile but I got an email today offering me a studio apartment pretty close to campus. Anyways, that's an option too I guess for anyone that's looking :)

~*per te*~

Guest per te

Hey guys,

I just let Patricia know that I won't be going to McGill. So anyone on the waitlist can expect to move up a spot :)

~*per te*~

Guest predent2003

Hi per te~

So you have made up your mind not to go to Mcgill and choose to go to either UofT or Western?

Are you from Ontario? Is that why you choose to stay?

Good luck with your choice!;)

Guest per te

hi predent2003,

yes i had to make a decision, instead of dragging it on and on thinking about it... that would be best for everyone. I'm from BC actually but I go to school in Ontario so that makes it easier but it's more about the program that I chose UofT over McGill.

Thanks, good luck to you too

~*per te*~

Hey per te,

Looks like we were in a similar situation (from BC, go to school at UT, accepted at both McGill and UT in dilemma). I guess for your final decision the tuition was not the most important factor. So what made you decide finally to change to UT? Just curious because I was in a similar dilemma and had a week to make my decision. :) So you had paid the deposit for both schools and decided to think about it and lose 2000 from one of the schools? Did you get the 2000 from McGill back? Just curious about what factors you considered for your final decision. :)

Guest per te

Hi WK,

Actually I go to UWO not UofT but.. yeah, I thought that too about our situations being similar, that's why I asked you in the UofT waitlist thread about why you decided to pick McGill. :)

The tuition difference was a major reason I was thinking about McGill, but I think I would prefer the dentistry-only and not the combined medicine curriculum. Also, you need to speak french to practice in Quebec right? Of course you don't have to learn and practice in the same place but nonetheless I took it into consideration too.

As for the McGill deposit, you can get half of it back if you let them know before June. :)

~*per te*~

Guest LestatZinnie

for the tuition difference between uwo and mcgill, i wouldn't sweat it too much. if it's ubc vs mcgill it's another story.

from my general understanding uwo is a much more fun school whereas mcgill is more academic. i wish i applied there, except for their stupid phsyiology req'. :x

Guest toothy jr

LestatZinnie, what exactly do you mean by McGill being more academic, don't you guys occasionally plan student activities (parties, pot lucks, intramural sport teams etc)? It's true there is much less material to study in 1st year at UWO but it doesn't mean people get to dress up in teletubbies costumes and dance everyday because it's a "fun" school. Well, that's what I would consider a fun school anyway :)

per te, I might not ever see you, but welcome to UWO anyway!!

Guest LestatZinnie

i mean more academic as in the general atmosphere of the school. this is what i've heard from people in dent/med with me who came from uwo. i don't hv first hand experience from what it's like there. but i do find mcgill more academic in general in ubc.

Guest toothy jr

I did not do my undergrad at uwo, but everybody who has seems to agree that this is the party school. However, I do not know how much of the party mentality permeates into the med/dent programs. We go to the same building day-in day-out, and only 3-4 different lecture rooms. It's quite possible to never have contact with the other 99% of the campus.

In any case, academically we are pretty relaxed, and of course the dents don't need to compete with meds for marks in a shared class.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Ah!

I've been on the phone all morning arranging appointments to look at apartments in Montreal. I'm flying from Vancouver on the red eye and get in at 7:00 tomorrow. I have my first meeting at 9:00! I hope I can make it (and remain awake)!

Has anyone else found a place yet? I'm hoping that my trip goes without a hitch and that I can find a place that isn't too pricey!

Guest Saint Seiya
Just out of curiousity: where did you hear that the Alberta limit is $30,000 per year. As somebody who has managed to ring up a massive Alberta debt, I think the figure is considerably less than that. It's closer to the $14,000 BC figure. And that is with the combination of provincial and federal loans.

Yea, dental students get $30,000 from Alberta & Federal student loans combined.....ask the dental students at UofA and they'll tell you exactly the same that I said here. :D

Archived