Premed 101 Forums

about dental schools in states

Guest anniezzang

Guest anniezzang

Hi~

I was told that dental schools in U.S. require 1 full credit English. Is it true?

and I'm sure this topic has been discussed already..

But how high is the GPA for states? I know they vary but what are their range?

Thank you in advance.

Guest toothy jr

it seems to be possible to get in with GPA as low as 3.0, so if financially you can afford to go there, might as well just take an english credit on correspondence. Check with the school you apply to for prereqs. Watch out as certain schools don't really accept international students (not a problem if you have green card etc). Go to studentdoctor.net forum to hear what other people are doing. I have never applied to US :)

Guest TheDDSDude

i took a year of english and got into AMerican schools.

But I think OAC english can be a substitute for half of your requirements.

Guest anniezzang

So.. I do need an English course.. So do most of school require English? and is it acceptable if I take it in Summer shcool? Thank you

Guest TheDDSDude

does OAC count for a full year of English though?

If it does then I'm dumb for taking English. But like all University courses, they don't care when you take it.

American schools are good backups for cheaper Canadian schools.

Guest osindy

quote: "But like all University courses, they don't care when you take it."

does this mean they just want you to have somewhere on your transcript that you have like a biology course with a lab?

They don't care what biology it is?

Oh and for all ontarionians with OAC english problems, one word : Athabasca. Correspondence university that's VERY easy to get along with and work with around schedules and what not. Anyone need any info, get in touch.

Guest TheDDSDude

yeppers! All they care is that you have biology with a lab.

Honestly, the USA is ignorant to the courses up here. You can pretty much say it is a lab course or just write down first year biology and they will assume it has a lab component. They really don't care. Of course i'm not telling you to lie to them but yeah they really don't care.

Guest DrBadVibes

I applied to the US and OAC english is all you need.....nothing more. The only school that only accepts OAC english for half of their requirement is UPenn....all the other schools accept OAC english as a full credit

Guest anniezzang

Hmm.. I went to high school in Vancouver => I do NOT have OAC English..

I guess I have to take one English course in my school..

such a pain in the ***.. sigh

Guest TheDDSDude

it's ok, English isn't too bad. Just make sure to take an easy one such as Children's lit or something. Look around, English courses are rather interesting sometimes. You'll be surprised what you can actually learn. Just don't view it as a hard course.

Guest per te

I took English in first year because I wanted to, and it was a refreshing change from Science courses. It's really not all that bad. ;)

About children's lit ... I know many people who took the course at UWO and found the course difficult. So just because the course material is an easy read, that doesn't necessarily mean the course is. Of course, the same cannot be said of all schools.. maybe just this one, who knows? :)

~*per te*~

Guest TheDDSDude

I've taken quite a few English courses, at least at my school Children's lit was one of the easier ones, but I never said it was an easy english course. It was a 3rd year course. I just simply said it was easier than the others. Having said that, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Archived