Premed 101 Forums

Provincial Budget Cuts

Yeah we have already been interviewed.

I'm certain hyperalgesia meant to say acceptances. We can only hope those letters come out earlier than May 14!

Whoops! Definitely meant to say acceptances haha. I had just come off a committee meeting when I posted that, hence my braindeadedness. XD

I keep having similar daydreams.

"We regret to inform all applicants that due to provincial budget cuts, we will not be admitting a class of 2016"

I can't even blame it on sleeping, like the poster above me. It's my slightly-paranoid conscious mind at work... :(

BTW- I don't actually believe this at all, and sorry if it gives anyone else nightmares. I think that after 6years of applications, I can't believe that I actually am this close, and I have to find a way to normalize rejection. :D

Are they going to be releasing on May 14th, like the ON schools? That might be nice.

UBC is may 15th too. Not sure why OMSAS is earlier.

I think that the discussion on the blog regarding letting us know earlier will apply more to future years, and not this one now, if they take it into account. I feel kind of sad that I won't really get a summer, and of course won't get one for 3 years, if I get accepted.

I'm assuming I won't get in, and have to kind of twiddle my thumbs right now and I could be doing something more interesting if I knew either way. My june and july looks pretty booked but I would book it differently if I knew either way. Oh well.

They won't let us know any earlier than May 14th, they just don't have the staff for it.

Interesting that he said not to expect any admission offers late March or early April.

Seems to me that leaves the door for late April, which is right around the corner! Crap, now I'll be checking my email consistantly until the news comes out.

where do you see this??

edit: nevermind, found it in one of his replies.

on the other hand, since he's referring to "early march", that makes it sound like he's more talking about a future application cycle, and that the current one there is no chance of it being an early decision.

Hello everyone,

I had noticed that U of C admissions seems extremely quiet this year compared to past years. Obviously they are very busy, but updates on the blog have been very few and far in-between (the last one mid-Feb) whereas compared to last year Dr. Walker was sending out updates on various issues such as the CARMS match. The seat decrease was a huge disappointment that I think ups the stress for all of us this year, but I had another unsettling thought given the recent provincial cuts, and I hope we’re not due for worse news.

This year’s seat decrease was announced prior to the provincial budget. Now we know that the province is planning unprecedented cuts to post-secondary in Alberta, something that we haven't seen since the mid-1990's. Although funding the past 15 or so years hasn’t been fantastic, it has at least been manageable with at least 2% increases on base operating funding, combined with generous capital expansion budgets for many institutions. U of C’s med school increased in size from 100 to the one time high of 180 students in 2009.

Now we have just found out that the government is planning a 7.3% DECREASE to base funding when most institutions were anticipating a 2% increase, resulting in a loss of 9.3% of anticipated base operating funding for the upcoming academic year. The ministry’s response has been extremely antagonistic with all publicly funded institutions being sent these “Letters of Expectation” that the government expects each institution’s leadership to sign. One of the important issues highlighted is the need to decrease duplication and to streamline program delivery.

The entire situation is quite nauseating, particularly when you consider the high cost of medical education. I’ve now started to worry that both the U of C and U of A will be forced to cut additional seats unexpectedly due to this recent budget announcement. Rather than sit and continue worrying about this though, I thought I would post and see how others are feeling about this situation. Perhaps we as a cohort should make our voices heard to the ministry that these proposed cuts could be disastrous to medical education, all the way from pre-med through to residency.

Anyway, before I go on much longer, please post your thoughts and ideas. They are greatly appreciated.

Sad news for sure. This is the type of thing that we all worry about, your politicians in Alberta are MORONS. Your province has a higher per capita GDP than any state or province in North America, due to energy resources. How they could mess things up so badly is beyond me.

Archived