Premed 101 Forums

How did you feel the interview went?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how everyone felt their interview went? I personally found a few questions tough/unexpected and then some very easy! Overall I think it went well but I definitely prefer a panel interview!

I thought my interview went really well. Although that is a little meaningless as I have interviewed twice at NOSM before; the first time I thought my interview went OK and almost got in (finished 3rd on the waitlist once all the spots were full) and the second time I thought the interview went amazing and I did not even make the ranked waitlist. So keep in mind when reading my comments below that I am 0 for 2, and therefore, certainly no authority.

I think it is hard to judge your results based on the stations you found tough or easy, as it is very possible that the majority of candidates may have found the very same stations tough, and the same stations easy. That means that you may have received higher marks at some tough stations compared to some easy stations as there may be completely different expectations. It is also possible that a station you, or I, or anyone, found really easy, was actually a station that you or I ended up doing really poorly at as you, or I may have missed subtle clues and ended up giving an easy answer that did not have the depth or critical thinking skills they were looking for.

So you never know. I spend as little time as possible thinking about the interview questions afterwards. No point. It is out of our hands.

For some perspective, last year I interviewed and got in. I felt that I for sure bombed one station and did average on 2 stations and felt that I did well on the remainder. Of course I obsessed about those stations post-interview but I guess things worked out in my favor. You dont have to be perfect to get in ... though you do need to do better than others overall, though you'll never know whether you did or didnt :)

Go watch a movie ... that'll take your mind off of it.

Who really knows how they did- just really depends on why they are looking for and I have no idea how it went. I had 3 different stations where after I had "answered" the question, they asked specifically about my academic background. I have a sociology/ psy background so likely was answering outside of the "box" they were expecting. Lol. I prefer panel interviews personally.

I'm certainly pulling for you!

Nontrads unite! :D

I thought my interview went really well. Although that is a little meaningless as I have interviewed twice at NOSM before; the first time I thought my interview went OK and almost got in (finished 3rd on the waitlist once all the spots were full) and the second time I thought the interview went amazing and I did not even make the ranked waitlist. So keep in mind when reading my comments below that I am 0 for 2, and therefore, certainly no authority.

I think it is hard to judge your results based on the stations you found tough or easy, as it is very possible that the majority of candidates may have found the very same stations tough, and the same stations easy. That means that you may have received higher marks at some tough stations compared to some easy stations as there may be completely different expectations. It is also possible that a station you, or I, or anyone, found really easy, was actually a station that you or I ended up doing really poorly at as you, or I may have missed subtle clues and ended up giving an easy answer that did not have the depth or critical thinking skills they were looking for.

So you never know. I spend as little time as possible thinking about the interview questions afterwards. No point. It is out of our hands.

Who really knows how they did- just really depends on why they are looking for and I have no idea how it went. I had 3 different stations where after I had "answered" the question, they asked specifically about my academic background. I have a sociology/ psy background so likely was answering outside of the "box" they were expecting. Lol. I prefer panel interviews personally.

I had the same thing happen to me in quite a few of my stations! I don't know what to think of it because I don't know if the casual conversations actually count towards your score. I found the mmi was much more conversational this year than last year for me. Many of my interviewers didn't seem interested in the questions and wanted to know more about me. Which makes me nervous because of how Mmis are graded. I even had one interviewer outright say how stupid he thought the question was and talked for 6 minutes. I'm very confused and worried!

From what I've heard, after you've answered the question and whatever prompt questions they might have they can just talk to you so you're not just sitting awkwardly for the rest of the station. Not sure if this is judged but I don't think it would be

Had my interview this morning in Thunder Bay. Immediately after I thought I had done awesome, but now not so much. I found that the interviewers in general were not very talkative..unless that is just a sign that I talked too much. The interviewer at my last station told me I had answered differently than everyone else and he really had to think about that...so it ended on a confusing note. Overall the day was fun and I am looking forward to May 14th!

I had the same thing happen to me in quite a few of my stations! I don't know what to think of it because I don't know if the casual conversations actually count towards your score. I found the mmi was much more conversational this year than last year for me. Many of my interviewers didn't seem interested in the questions and wanted to know more about me. Which makes me nervous because of how Mmis are graded. I even had one interviewer outright say how stupid he thought the question was and talked for 6 minutes. I'm very confused and worried!

That was not the case for me at all, however, afterwards I was talking with someone who interviewed the same time as me, but in a different circuit, who seems to have had a very similar experience to the one you had.

That was not the case for me at all, however, afterwards I was talking with someone who interviewed the same time as me, but in a different circuit, who seems to have had a very similar experience to the one you had.

Ya it's so hard to judge given the variation amongst interviewers. This wait is killing me though!

Ya it's so hard to judge given the variation amongst interviewers. This wait is killing me though!

My hope is that each interviewer was consistent for all 10 applicants.

On the one hand, we have to recognize that the interviewers are people just like anyone else and are interested in finding out about the people they are interviewing. On the other hand, if someone really feels that an interviewer behaved in an inappropriate way, or that an interviewer was not giving them a fair assessment, the only way NOSM (or any other medical school) can do anything about it is if they are told about it.

My hope is that each interviewer was consistent for all 10 applicants.

On the one hand, we have to recognize that the interviewers are people just like anyone else and are interested in finding out about the people they are interviewing. On the other hand, if someone really feels that an interviewer behaved in an inappropriate way, or that an interviewer was not giving them a fair assessment, the only way NOSM (or any other medical school) can do anything about it is if they are told about it.

This is very true! Hopefully the interview went better than I thought. I've over analyzed it to the point where I'm thinking I bombed it so I need to occupy my mind for the next month so I don't drive myself crazy!

This being my first ever application to med school, and therefore my first interview, I've no idea how I did. All I can say is that I feel good about my individual performance... better than I thought I would while I was sitting down in the basement sweating bullets about how the hell I was going to talk for 8 minutes about something I've had 2 minutes to look at!

That being said, I'm very satisfied with the whole experience. I feel good about myself and my responses, and if it turns out that I don't get offered a seat I feel confident in the fact that that just means NOSM is indeed accepting the best possible applicants :)

Archived