Premed 101 Forums

Leaving med school before CaRMS

It seems that there are some people who leaves medical school after their first or second year.

While it must not be common, I was wondering what's the most popular reason why people leave meds after trying so hard to get in and is there a correlation with the age? Being a mature applicant and after having go through interviews.... I'm having lot of thoughts lately.

Thanks

the 2 reasons I most often heard:

1- they realize they don't like medicine as much as they thought they would, thus they usually change to a completely other field (architecture, finances, engineering etc.)

2- in their mind, medicine isn't worth all the sacrifices they do

the 2 reasons I most often heard:

1- they realize they don't like medicine as much as they thought they would, thus they usually change to a completely other field (architecture, finances, engineering etc.)

2- in their mind, medicine isn't worth all the sacrifices they do

they can also be removed - for poor performance or some act of unprofessionalism. Rare but of course so is actually choosing to leave as well.

I was 19 when I got into medical school in Alberta. I was an out of province, so all my family was back in Saskatchewan.

Things got really bad at home with family problems and I ended up leaving for 3 years.I was a 2010 and just matched with the 2013.

Some of my friends lost a year, 2 to family and personal problems, and 1 to, uh, not sure if he liked medicine? Of the two who left for family problems, one was my age, and one was something like 6 years older than me.

I think youth and naivety are huge contributors - I think if I were older and didn't get in at my age, I would have been better prepped emotionally for tragedy.

Conversely, getting through medical school with minimal personal hardship is probably the best!

I detailed most of it in my blog, but last time I posted my blog URL here (5 years ago) I uh, had some very very diverse comments...

Please message me if there is anything I can do. It is very hard, and very painful, to be away from a program you fought so hard for.

- David

Archived