Premed 101 Forums

Med school in Poland then work in Canada?

I want to take the 6 year program in Europe, I've been looking at universities in Poland and I was wondering if this route is a decent alternative to Canadian or American med schools.

I understand that there is no equal alternative, but I still get rewarded an MD. There is where i'm confused, Can i work in Canada after ? I go to high school here, what do i have to do to work in Canada? Do i get payed equally as a Canadian med school graduate? I've heard things like foreign doctors aren't seen as doctors at all in the USA or Canada, is this true? or is it a matter of an exam or something?

Forgive me for my ignorance, I just haven't found what I'm looking for

I want to take the 6 year program in Europe, I've been looking at universities in Poland and I was wondering if this route is a decent alternative to Canadian or American med schools.

I understand that there is no equal alternative, but I still get rewarded an MD. There is where i'm confused, Can i work in Canada after ? I go to high school here, what do i have to do to work in Canada? Do i get payed equally as a Canadian med school graduate? I've heard things like foreign doctors aren't seen as doctors at all in the USA or Canada, is this true? or is it a matter of an exam or something?

Forgive me for my ignorance, I just haven't found what I'm looking for

Yes you are paid equally, everything is the same but you need to get into a post-graduate medical training program here in Canada called residency. Everyone applies to residency, but people who graduated internationally compete for a quota of spots. If you go to Poland you will be competing for this quota, which makes it difficult.

I wouldn't recommend you go to Poland, you might not be able to come back. Polish MD isn't equivalent to the US or Canadian MD in Canada, so you can't apply to the same spots as other Canadians or Americans, you would apply to IMG spots.

Archived