Premed 101 Forums

residency in ths US

queenie

Hi,

Can any MD-INTL comment on the advantages/disadvantages when matching into a residency program in the US? I have done some research but i'm still a little bit confused. I understand that it's going to be more competitive, which is understandable. But I also heard that Match day in Canada is earlier than Match day in the U.S. So does that mean that you should only apply to 1? i.e. if you're matched into a Canadian program, it's binding and you won't be able to match into a US program anymore?

I'm just weight some pros and cons right now. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hi,

Can any MD-INTL comment on the advantages/disadvantages when matching into a residency program in the US? I have done some research but i'm still a little bit confused. I understand that it's going to be more competitive, which is understandable. But I also heard that Match day in Canada is earlier than Match day in the U.S. So does that mean that you should only apply to 1? i.e. if you're matched into a Canadian program, it's binding and you won't be able to match into a US program anymore?

I'm just weight some pros and cons right now. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'm also an international/US citizen, and have been looking into some of the same questions you raised. From what I have researched, in order to be eligible to apply for Canadian residencies (in all provinces except for Quebec), you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (which I'm assuming you aren't, since you are an international applicant).

From the CaRMS website (http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_e.shtml):

Note that all jurisdictions, with the exception of Quebec schools and Memorial University visa applicants, require that applicants applying to provincial Ministries of Health-funded positions be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

It is possible to apply through CaRMS and NRMP, but as you mentioned, the Canadian match is earlier, so if you do match in Canada, your application to US schools is automatically withdrawn.

With respect to matching in the US, I have heard from many medical students that McGill is highly regarded in the US, and that it should not be difficult obtaining residency in the states. There may be regional biases, with some schools, such as those in California and the Northeast, being more familiar with McGill's reputation. Again, this is not a fact, but just information given to me by others.

If there are any McGill students who could comment on their experience or knowledge of applying to US residencies, that would be really helpful!

Thank you! That was really helpful. No I do not have Canadian citizenship or permanent residency. But hey, at least I can still apply for residency in Quebec haha.

About that bit with the 2 different systems, that is so tricky! If it is how we understand it, it means you'd apply to either of them, and there's no point applying for both if you can't get into an American residency program anyway. Are there any McGill international students out there who can help us answer this? I would really really appreciate it!

And Okazaki, i saw your post about being pulled out of the WL. Congratulations! :)

I think the two programs actually works out well since the Canadian one is earlier as iNTL students securing a Canadian match would likely be difficult if not impossible - I presume all the way along you'd likely be doing both exams and then would apply to both (if you wanted to stay in Canada) and would not be at risk for dual commitment. My understanding is if you happened to match up north than your US match would be cancelled and if you didn't it would not effect your US matching.

Technically, canada grads are not considered IMG. However the two categories for the US match are US senior and independent applicant, which encompasses a whole bunch of other things.

I don't know if there is an actual answer to how much it will effect your odds of landing a US residency. Mildly restrictive but in no ways prohibitive would be my guess. Probably, like so many things, dependent on residency director.

I got off the WL too so now I'm weighing all this with other factors, it's tough!

Congratulations guys!

95% of the time, the Canadian match is hold before the US match. Because the international student population, such as US citizens, have dropped over the years and more CEGEP and francophone students are recruited (especially when they get rid of the MCAT), I think more and more McGill graduates will favour the Canadian residency. Moreover, since the Canadian match is a guaranteed match, fewer people would risk it and go for the US training.

The competition for residency only gets more intense every year in the US. With fewer people matched to the US schools compared to the English schools like UBC, Alberta, UT, it may become harder for newer generation of McGill students to be matched directly for residency in the US.

Why not do a fellowship in the US later?

I think the major issue with Canadian vs US match is less preference than residency - If I go to McGill I would personally prefer a Canadian match, however, unless I marry a Canadian in the next 2-3 years I think matching would be almost impossible in Canada. The only paths I can see to permanent residency (which is a requirement for all provinces except Quebec) don't seem attainable in time for match. The fastest is the Quebec experience path but it can't be submitted more than 6 months prior to graduation.

But I'd love to be wrong about this if anyone has better information...

I think the major issue with Canadian vs US match is less preference than residency - If I go to McGill I would personally prefer a Canadian match, however, unless I marry a Canadian in the next 2-3 years I think matching would be almost impossible in Canada. The only paths I can see to permanent residency (which is a requirement for all provinces except Quebec) don't seem attainable in time for match. The fastest is the Quebec experience path but it can't be submitted more than 6 months prior to graduation.

But I'd love to be wrong about this if anyone has better information...

Agreed- for those attending McGill who are not Canadian citizens/permanent residents, I don't think that residency in Canada is a realistic option (possible, but the options are very limited). That's why I'm focusing more on how/if attending McGill will affect my chances at US residency. I still haven't found any definitive information on this. I've tried contacting admissions for their recent US match lists- already saw what's on their website- but didn't have much luck.

Does anyone know how US students fare in the US match coming from McGill? I know the sample size of US students has gotten smaller in recent years, but any data or concrete information on this matter would be helpful since the May 15 deadline is coming up.

So if you go to McGill and doesn't have permanent residency/citizenship, you can only apply for residency in Quebec right?

okazaki123, can you send me the link to where you saw the match list on the school website? i think i saw something similar but i can't find it again anywhere :(

So if you go to McGill and doesn't have permanent residency/citizenship, you can only apply for residency in Quebec right?

okazaki123, can you send me the link to where you saw the match list on the school website? i think i saw something similar but i can't find it again anywhere :(

If you're not a Canadian permanent resident or citizen, you are not eligible to apply to residency programs in any province except Quebec. Also, I think if you do residency in Canada, you have to take a French proficiency exam.

Here is the link with US match results: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/admissions/categories/int/prospective-international-students

There isn't any information on the match rate for US citizens- does anyone know if that information is available?

Archived