Premed 101 Forums

Med school in Canada, residency in the states

If I do my medical school in Canada, and then a residency in the United States, will I be able to come back and work as a doctor in Canada? and would I be able to work in the United States?

If you guys know of websites/other discussions that can also help answer, it would be great to have the links!

Thanks ;)

If I do my medical school in Canada, and then a residency in the United States, will I be able to come back and work as a doctor in Canada? and would I be able to work in the United States?

If you guys know of websites/other discussions that can also help answer, it would be great to have the links!

Thanks ;)

Yes. You can work in both Canada and USA.

Most Canadian residency programs (with the exception of family medicine) are longer than their US counterparts (often 3-4 years versus 5) so they may not be considered equivalent.

right,

for OP,

for e.g. IM is 3 years in the US whereas its 4 years in canada,

they prob want to see an extra year of fellowship in whatever to give equivalency

• 2 months later...

You can, but after jumping a few hoops. In addition to the above, you might have to write the qualifying exams as well as other exams for certification in Canada.

For Ontario, this link gives a bit of information for different scenarios.

http://www.healthforceontario.ca/en/Home/Physicians/Training_%7C_Practising_Outside_Ontario/Practice_Requirements/Physicians_Trained_Outside_Ontario

Archived