Premed 101 Forums

Really bad organic chemistry mark

Just saw my Organic Chemistry mark and I got a C+. The course is full year at my school so this is equivalent to getting C+ in both orgo I and II. I'm pretty upset and it really hurt my gpa, all my other grades are A's and A+'s. I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do. My first year gpa is 3.86 and this year is 3.54. I'm planning on re-doing the course in the summer. Any advice?

Also, does anyone know which medical schools accept redone course and summer courses?

I'm completely lost. What would you do if you were in my situation? Advice would be greatly be appreciated.

Just saw my Organic Chemistry mark and I got a C+. The course is full year at my school so this is equivalent to getting C+ in both orgo I and II. I'm pretty upset and it really hurt my gpa, all my other grades are A's and A+'s. I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do. My first year gpa is 3.86 and this year is 3.54. I'm planning on re-doing the course in the summer. Any advice?

Also, does anyone know which medical schools accept redone course and summer courses?

I'm completely lost. What would you do if you were in my situation? Advice would be greatly be appreciated.

I'm guessing you're as york as they just posted the grades and we're probably the only school with a full year orgo course.

I don't know about redone courses, but in the email they said that the grades "have not been aproved yet"- I'm assuming that the class average is very low because of the overwhelming abundance of E's and F's. Not to give you false hope but it is possible that they'll curve up.

I'm guessing you're as york as they just posted the grades and we're probably the only school with a full year orgo course.

I don't know about redone courses, but in the email they said that the grades "have not been aproved yet"- I'm assuming that the class average is very low because of the overwhelming abundance of E's and F's. Not to give you false hope but it is possible that they'll curve up.

That would be a Godsend.

I was in your situation last year with an experimental course, do not worry. If all of your other marks are good you have not lost hope. Also there are some schools that will drop courses like this (Toronto weighting) I do not think re-doing the course will help. I do not believe any school will take the new mark over the old and I do not not believe most schools take summer marks into consideration, I have heard (too late mind you) that this is why some pre-meds take harder courses in the summer, you get the pre-req. but not the mark.

I don't think re-doing the course will help you. From what I've read, re-doing doesn't change anything besides time wasted. I don't think it replaces the original mark. I'd say just chalk it up as a bad grade and do better next year. Nothing else you really can do.

Yeah I am at york. I'm crossing my fingers for a curve. I wasn't expecting to do so horrible on the final.

It will help for your York GPA but not as part of a med school app GPA calculation. They'll use the first mark.

I'm not too worried about my york gpa I still have an 8, but my omsas gpa is pretty low now. Thank you though I guess there's no point in re-doing the course then.

I'm not too worried about my york gpa I still have an 8, but my omsas gpa is pretty low now. Thank you though I guess there's no point in re-doing the course then.

I was in exactly the same position as you last year.

Don't stress out that much, there are people in worse situations than you that failed courses and got into Ontario Medical schools. Put it this way, it will put you back 1 more year if you apply to Ottawa or Queens. It won't effect your Western GPA or UofT as long as you take a full courseload. Only place it hurts your chance is at Mac Med and even then you can overcome it with a good VR score. There are people with 3.3-3.6 GPA that get into Macmed, just look at their website. I don't think you should panic much sicne you have 2-3 more years to improve. I hope this helps, good luck :)

I was in exactly the same position as you last year.

Don't stress out that much, there are people in worse situations than you that failed courses and got into Ontario Medical schools. Put it this way, it will put you back 1 more year if you apply to Ottawa or Queens. It won't effect your Western GPA or UofT as long as you take a full courseload. Only place it hurts your chance is at Mac Med and even then you can overcome it with a good VR score. There are people with 3.3-3.6 GPA that get into Macmed, just look at their website. I don't think you should panic much sicne you have 2-3 more years to improve. I hope this helps, good luck :)

Thanks a lot I appreciate your feedback. And you're right I'm just going to continue to improve over the next 2 years and hope for the best. :)

That's the right way to go. I think you may have a tough time with U of T and Ottawa, but all other schools are still in the mix. Don't let a grade bother you - we all mess up sometimes. 3.86 is a nice GPA for first year...and your second year GPA is quite admired outside the premed world.

Thanks a lot I appreciate your feedback. And you're right I'm just going to continue to improve over the next 2 years and hope for the best. :)

Calgary will drop your worst year or semester (depending if you've finished your degree or apply in 3rd year), Toronto will drop your worst year's marks, Dalhousie considers your 2 most recent years, Western looks at your best 2 years, and I'm sure there are more :) One bad semester will NOT screw you over, my friend, you still have options!

The C+ isn't all that bad.. Certainly doesn't classify as a "really bad organic chem mark". I've seen much much lower grades in organic go far in life..

This mark will average out. It will not hurt your performance. Just look at your cGPA. Its still wicked competitive. Chin up bud. It'll all work out in the end

Archived