Premed 101 Forums

Do Intramural sports count as a legitimate EC?

Guest StephenNoor

Guest GundamDX

I would definitely think so. Especially for UBC... the REC has TONZ of leagues... lots of opportunities for winning championships! :P ofcoz you need to pick the right level to play at...

Absolutely! When I think of someone who participates in intramurals, I think of someone who has a commitment to physical fitness and wellbeing, and who can also work as part of a team. I'd think those are two great characteristics for a potential physician.

Guest fingerscrossed06

I would say put anything you do, or are passionate about on your application. If it doesn't really seem to fit properly in the categories then put it under "other". They just want to know what kind of person you are, what you are interested in. That you are well-rounded and don't only do things cause they will enhance your application.

So if its photography you are interested in, travel etc. I would say put it on the application too. It isn't what is "legitimate", it is what is you.

Guest GundamDX

that's true. But I would suggest that if you're doing something like sports, compete if you can. While playing an hour-long ball hockey game for a league every week is virtually same as playing an hour with your friends every week, the former entry *might* be better. That's just my 2 cents. Not saying you have to *find* something to compete in, but "maximize" your interests is what I am suggesting.

I'd agree with that too. If the admissions committee could follow you around for a month, they might get to know you well enough. Since that doesn't happen, I think it's just a truth of the process that you have to show them what kind of person you are by choosing more quantified and specific activities. As long as you're genuinely interested in the activity, I don't think it's a mortal sin to do it in a way that you can actually put on an application.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PhysiologyDude

Well, it can't really hurt to let them know you have a life outside of school. Personally, I found that I had a hard time getting to know ppl during regular undergrad, so I made an effort to pursue intramurals in professional school just to get to get out of the rut of pure studying. Made some friends, and found out that I really needed to play more because my hand-eye coordination had gotten worse. =)

Guest marbledust
that's true. But I would suggest that if you're doing something like sports, compete if you can. While playing an hour-long ball hockey game for a league every week is virtually same as playing an hour with your friends every week, the former entry *might* be better. That's just my 2 cents. Not saying you have to *find* something to compete in, but "maximize" your interests is what I am suggesting.

I think this is totally wrong. I don't think admission committees are going to care--or be "more" impressed"--that somebody plays in a rec ball hockey league as opposed to a competitive one. The whole point of the EC requirement is that it shows you are interested and capable of leading a balanced life and having outside interests. What you chose to do as an EC doesn't matter. Actually when I was interviewing, I think I was more impressed with the people who admitted they had no athetic apptitude yet enjoyed playing recreational soccer or volleyball just for fun or to connect with others socially. I think that speaks volumes about a person.

Guest GundamDX

hehe as I said, just a suggestion. How can a suggestion be "totally wrong" ? Will you say that to your classmate when you're doing PBL? :P

But maybe you think it was a misleading suggestion/ statment. In that case please feel free to delete it :P

Guest cracked30

It is an EC activity. But if you are only doing it and not spending some of your time in the pursuit of helping others. Like many other applicants might, you won't look too impressive.

Picture yourself interviewing two different people.

One did intramural sports in the evening, the other spent the night assisting elderly people in and out of wheelchairs at the hospital to take them for tests. Who's more committed to getting into medicine.

Archived