Premed 101 Forums

Multiple research interests

Hi,

I have many research interests and I am currently involved with three research studies. Two in clinical research (both in cancer)- only assisting with them; and one in doing basic science research, which I am currently heading my own project (worked there and also did my thesis there). I developed so many interests over my undergrad. I am the type of person who loves to learn and enjoying exploring my interests deeper (esp through research). I have interests in maternal health, which I explored during my first two years of undergrad.

Would this seem like resume padding to med schools? and do med schools "frown" upon this?

Thanks! :)

Hi,

I have many research interests and I am currently involved with three research studies. Two in clinical research (both in cancer)- only assisting with them; and one in doing basic science research, which I am currently heading my own project (worked there and also did my thesis there). I developed so many interests over my undergrad. I am the type of person who loves to learn and enjoying exploring my interests deeper (esp through research). I have interests in maternal health, which I explored during my first two years of undergrad.

Would this seem like resume padding to med schools? and do med schools "frown" upon this?

My only concern is this: How invested are you in each project? Most projects require a significant commitment (i.e. full time for many weeks/months) so from the sounds of it you may be spreading yourself thin... at least that is how it may come off.

uhh, not if she enjoys it right?? who cares how it comes off really... doing 3 intensive studies yeah, that sais more passion to me... 15 superfluous short lived engagements... more bs imo

My only concern is this: How invested are you in each project? Most projects require a significant commitment (i.e. full time for many weeks/months) so from the sounds of it you may be spreading yourself thin... at least that is how it may come off.

Hi,

First of all, all research is resume padding. There is nothing wrong with adding to your resume.

What you are concerned about is that it will seem like you did research just for the sake of your resume, not out of interest.

Medical schools can't and won't both to tell the difference between them. Its too hard.

Doing research in 3 fields could seem like you are exploring multiple fields to find your true passion, or it could be done to get into medical school.

Lets be real, almost EVERYONE does research in part to improve their resume. I know its true for you because you posted this "dilemna". Its OK. I am also going to do research this summer. I do want to know if i'm interested in research as a career, but i wouldn't try research if it wasn't to pad my resume (who wants to work as an assistant if not to gain that experience?). Its the same for 90% of people.

PAD your resume, do research, don't say that during your interview and you will be just like everyone else who's applying to medical school.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi,

Judging by your post, the reason you are doing research is because you enjoy it, not because you want to enhance your application. I think the adcom will see this which will be to your advantage. Well done. There a quite a few posters on this forum who ask research questions solely to enhance their applications and have no interest in the actual research and wonder why they can't get authorship on a paper.

Archived