Premed 101 Forums

ROSS vs Flinders

Hey folks, I'm a Canadian citizen (BC resident). I'm in 2 year sciences and my GPA is 3.4. I am wondering if I should apply to ROSS or FLINDERS for medicine. I wish to come back to Canada to practice. However, if I ended up going to ROSS, what are my chances of landing residency in family physician of internal medicine? Thanks!

Your chance of landing internal or family medicine at Ross or Flinders is pretty much the same, it will depend on you, your scores on the MCCEE/QE pt 1, your grades in school and your electives/recs.

Internal is a lot harder than Family. If you are from BC then it is also quite difficult to come back. If you 100% want to end up in BC doing family or internal, do rotations all the time there and focus on your grades and you will get in.

Both won't have rotations in Canada, Ross will be in the US and Flinders in Australia. US is more similar to Canada, but people from both schools get into Canada.

Theres are no guarantees though.

Actually if you want to come back to BC then Flinders might be a better choice. UBC doesn't allow Caribbean medical students to come and do electives. You can still do electives in BC if you go to Ross, but you'd have to find a preceptor willing to take you on directly without going through UBC.

Archived