Premed 101 Forums

MCAT: Unsure where to begin

LupeF

I know it's kind of late, but I've recently decided I want to test before the summer is out (late August).

I intended to self study, but I'm unsure where to begin. Could anyone link me to good resources (book prices, which books to choose for what section, types of tests, etc.)?

I'm a supernoob at this so positive input would be greatly appreciated!

Take a diagnostic test first to locate your weaknesses and gauge the amount of study time you need.

Yes, the free online test from AAMC is a good place to start.

Also, do you have a strong background in the basic sciences like gen chem, orgo, bio and physics? If so, examkrackers books are great as they focus almost entirely on just what you need to know for the MCAT, whereas many of the other books like Kaplan and Princeton go into way more detail that often isn't required unless you have a lacking background.

I would also suggest the rather obvious point of starting with your weakest sections - sounds silly I know but people tend to start studying things they already know - biology or physics usually rather than VR. Bit of an ego thing I think, we all want to feel that we are smart and thus ignore other areas. Plus I think there is weird tendency to think things we don't know aren't that hard :)

that and VR is important - more important than any other section and the one people are most likely to do poorly in.

Archived